Advice re CCTV system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have just moved to a rather remote location, and I have had installed a monitored alarm system. However for a bit more piece of mind I am thinking of installing a cctv system.

I could probably wire up the cameras myself to a DVR, but where I need help with is what cameras and DVR would people recommend for this project?

If it helps at night time three sides of the house are in total darkness (apart from PIR lights if activated) the front of the house is illuminated by a couple of lights with long life bulbs on a dusk to dawn sensor.

To give me total coverage I will probably need about 8 cameras to cover the outside of the house due to how it is built, I am also thinking of installing internal (dome?) cameras to cover the three entrances.

Any advice greatly received

Regards

Sponsored Links
same problem same answer clicky
Breezer thanks,

but in fairness no-one has actually answered either questions, there has simply been a conversation about CCD cameras and IR lights.

So hopefully someone will actually answer my questions with some informative help and advice regarding maufacturers/models.

Hushpuppy.

you missed the point.

i will say buy this brand, some one else will say that that brand is no use.
It really depends on what yoiu want to do and how much you want to spend doing it.

for example. having got 3 dvrs, (all still working) i would say dont buy a 16 channle dvr, but if i wait long enough some one will say do buy a 16 channel dvr

Sponsored Links
OK, I did get the point, but the whole point of me coming on this forum was to get advice from experts, like you, who are in the industry and are knolwedgeable of what products are out there.

I am aware that opinions differ.

The easiest way I can re-frame my question is what would YOU install in your home and business?

same problem same answer clicky
Breezer thanks,

but in fairness no-one has actually answered either questions, there has simply been a conversation about CCD cameras and IR lights.

So hopefully someone will actually answer my questions with some informative help and advice regarding maufacturers/models.

Hushpuppy.
Already answered on another current thread.
What you can (usually) buy and what the trade would (normally) fit aenot the same thing.
There can be a massive difference in quality between the stuff on the high street/discount electrical stores and the trade (for want of a better word) kit. This may not be apparent on viewing the images realtime on a monitor, but in playback - which i where it matters.

DVRs. Some worry about having all cameras on a single DVR. That is their choice. However, buy the right kit then no worries.

End of the day though, it depends on your budget. Matters not what is recommended if you are not prepared to pay the price for the correct kit.

One problem with putting all cameras on a single DVR is that you may have to reduce the frame rate for each camera, meaning that you miss things.

I have just fitted 4 cameras fro the same sort of reason and I don't think I am an exspert on this subject I treid a couple of cheaper version did not do it for me
after searching the net I brought mine from america I could not find any thing like it in england
http://lorexstore.lorextechnology.com/article.aspx?aid=83

mine are linked to a pc whith a digital pci card and a smaller card that reboots the system in the case of a power cut also the pc has backup battery system and was very easy to install

One problem with putting all cameras on a single DVR is that you may have to reduce the frame rate for each camera, meaning that you miss things.
How?
6fps on standard 16ch DVR range. 25fps on higher end. What you going to miss?

If a high fps is important then you would have allowed for this in the risk assessment and design stage.

For my own use I have a 16 channel geo 1480 system, about 10 cams currently installed, some external, some internal. As a backup I have a visimetrics fastar 8 channel dvr covering 8 of the most vital cams.

Main DVR in secure lockbox, if going away for extended period I can also plug in a backup single channel dvr with 16channel multiplexer to get a third backup of all cams at reduced rate.

Cams range from cheap micromark style outdoor b&w, high res mono cams, mid range semi day night cams and some quality day nights cams. Also got ptz but not in use at the moment. Outdoor IR lighting installed also.

Also got some tiny mobile DVRS which I am thinking about using in strategic locations as they dont need a home run back to the main dvr, so ideal for being totally 'hidden' from any intruder... May even stick one on my bike if I ever decide to get fit again and do the coast to coast, would be great to record the ride on camera!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back