Advice re possible asbestolux ceiling panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a now internal rear porch, which was originally (before us) an external open porch. The ceiling panel is the original, about 30 years old I believe.

This panel looks like plaster board but is very hard.

There is a light fitting attached to it which I want to reposition slightly. This will involve removing the retaining screws into the board and relocating in a different position.

My questions are:

Is this panel likely to some sort of asbestolux

If so, is it safe to do this work with a suitable mask & if so can anybody recommend one please.

Thanks for help

Sponsored Links
From 30 years ago, it's more likely to be asbestos cement rather than asbestolux.

You can drill small holes if you take suitable precautions to not breathe any dust and to contain/prevent dust in the first place.

Thanks for advice.

Moving the light unit is not essential so I think I'll leave things as they are.

I assume leaving the panel in place untouched is perfectly safe??

Sponsored Links
Yes. If it is not being touched then asbestos cement sheet is safe to leave.

Its only if it is in an area where it is likely to get damaged or needs to be worked on other than a few screw holes that you should consider removal or encapsulation.

Remember that it it is not just the dust you breathe in whilst you doing it but the dust which settle on your clothes or on the floor that you or your family member may breathe in after the works have finished.
You can get little attachments so you can vacuum the dust whilst drilling.. however the hover should be H rated and have appropriate filters.
Best 'if' in good condition not to disturb or as woody says to encapsulate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back