Outside wall now inside a new porch - board or plaster?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just replaced an old porch on the side of the house with a new build, extending it rearwards in the process. (more like a mini extension 3.8mL x 1.7mW! checked with council and didnt have to get planning permission!)

In the original, the outside wall of the house (inside the porch) was panelled over, now removed. Now i need to board or plaster this part of the wall - 3.8m with the main door part way along.
The wall has an old concrete dash (not pebble) render (1950s)

A friend who is a retired maintenance guy with lots of experience says use either bonding plaster or drywall using taper edge. He says boards can be stuck on these days rather than use battening. Is that possible/ advisable as obviously the board needs to be level as possible?

As its a "porch" it doesnt have to be a perfect finish so using T/E and then tape/fill/paint will save a lot of mess, and i cant afford to have a pro plasterer in to skim (running out of money!) For this original house wall, can boards be stuck rather than battened, and with what adhesive? Or is it best to batten?

Also, Would it be better to use moisture resistant boards? The new walls are single skim block and will be battened and boarded, these and floor are DPC'd and it has sloping roof with a ceiling which will have some insulation stuff in it.
Thanks for any advice, though i suppose evryone has their personal preferences!!

Sponsored Links
Don't plaster straight onto a single skin wall, it will almost certainly suffer due to damp ingress. Batten it out & screw on some foil backed Duplex boards. Don’t try & dot & dab them; you can't dot & dab Duplex boards anyway (although I have mechanically fixed them before) & the adhesive will fail if there is any damp. I would still go for an internal plaster finish; it will look oh much better & seal the boards.

Thanks but youve misunderstood/mis-read my question! id already said the NEW (single skim) walls were going to be battened first. I know they shouldnt be plastered straight on..

It was the ORIGINAL, OUTSIDE WALL of the house, now on the INSIDE of the porch which i was asking about. this is obviously cavity wall and was rendered like the rest of the house when it was first built. Then when the original porch was built, the part of the house on the inside of this was panelled, which has now been removed since we built the new porch.

My query was whether to board this wall OR use bonding/hardwall plaster!
If i board - battens or adhesive? If using adhesive, which one?

line with feathered edge 12.5mm gyproc p/b using board adhesive.

then tape and fill the joints.

Sponsored Links
My query was whether to board this wall OR use bonding/hardwall plaster!
You could do EITHER but if plastering use Hardwall rather than Bonding; it will need a finish skim coat or it will look very rough.
If i board - battens or adhesive?
You could use EITHER; but in an unheated porch, I would probably use battens.
If using adhesive, which one?
Drywall adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back