Advice Regarding Gas Fire Please!

Roo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Gas fire which was working fine until around a year ago when the fan motor gave up the ghost (Worn rotor sticks to the side of the stator).

I have sourced a new fan assembly from the manufacturer and am quiet happy to replace it, but am I allowed as although it's the electric side I'm working on it's a gas appliance.

To be honest I would normally just go straight ahead and replace it but since the fire has been out of action we have had cavity wall insulation fitted.

I'm worried that if I replace the fan assembly in my fire and start using it again that it may now cause the cavity insulation to get hot maybe even catch fire?

I know nothing of cavity wall insulation or gas for that matter (I have a knowledge of electric) and just want to make sure that if something was to go wrong, My home insurance would be OK if I had worked on my fire.

Sponsored Links
You need a gas safe fella to do it. The cavity wall insulation isn't a problem as long as the air/flue duct was correctly installed.

Seems a bit silly to have cavity wall insulation and yet be happy to have a fan flued gas fire with a permanent hole in the wall leading to the outside... When they are off the wind blows right through to your room and when it is on the fan sucks out most of the heat that it produces to the great outdoors along with any warm air that your radiators have produced... I suspect that it would be cheaper to remove the fire, fill in the hole and just permanently remove a pain of glass from one of your windows..... Same effect!

Sponsored Links
Seems a bit silly to have cavity wall insulation and yet be happy to have a fan flued gas fire with a permanent hole in the wall leading to the outside... When they are off the wind blows right through to your room and when it is on the fan sucks out most of the heat that it produces to the great outdoors along with any warm air that your radiators have produced... I suspect that it would be cheaper to remove the fire, fill in the hole and just permanently remove a pain of glass from one of your windows..... Same effect!

Ha ha Thank you Corgigrouch,
Yes the wind does blow straight through to keep me nice and freezing while I've got my feet up with a pint of Guinness, which is why I wanted to fix it and get it working again.
I have no chimney in my house which is why I suspect they fitted a fan flued gas fire before I bought the house.
To top it off I've had a conservatory fitted to which adds to my heat loss keeping My Guinness cool.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll have to get one of you lot in.

In which case, bin the gas fire because even when those things work they barely heat anything for the gas that they consume and they make a right old racket which will put you off your Guinness.... For the conservatory, if you have 600mm under the window sill and a bit of outside wall you could have a nice under window mounted air to air heat pump..

CG really is grumpy, when it comes to gas fires!

Nip round to my shop, and we will sell you a fan flued fire with guaranteed NO draught when fire is off.They don't need additional ventilation, and are pretty quiet. Also come with a large choice of trims, frets and colours.

Shop must be dying at present gas fires and surrounds market has died in last few years , fashion item that has gone out of vogue ,

Shop must be dying at present gas fires and surrounds market has died in last few years , fashion item that has gone out of vogue ,

We are certainly not as busy as we were, but still make a nice living!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back