Gas Regulations

This won't be the worst part about a new build property built in the last 10 years, trust me :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The house is a Barratts house
Built in 2006, I've owned since 2010.

So far the shower tiling has failed, and on repairing I discovered some studs don't reach the horizontal timber at the top.

All the window seals and hinges are defective - and cannot be claimed on the usual 10 year warranty as Speedframe went bust. NHBC did not cover windows until recently, so I cannot claim via them either.

The doors do not fit the frames properly - you can fit a biro pen under the back one, and the front one doesn't even reach the threshold seal when it's closed. It is 13mm away from the part of the frame a door closes on (I don't know the technical term)

The longer I'm in the house, the more I discover how many corners and hash jobs have been done.

I bought a reasonably new house thinking there would be nothing wrong with it. Pretty obvious - if it can't be seen - it's not important.

I personally would never buy anything from the big developers, but on the plus side, there is going to be a massive boom in the trade sector when these things reach 15-20 years old. I know of houses in my immediate area that are just shy of 12 years, being gutted and having reinforcement footings poured in, shocking really.

Sponsored Links
This is a minor fault compared to the gas related problems I had to resolve for a neighbour who's house was 7 years old.

I don't need to tell you how far they got with legal channels.

That part of the estate predominantly have Keston boilers and I am getting a few calls a week now with people needing replacements before Christmas.

You're preaching to the converted here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back