Advice regarding Kitchen Ring Main extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, everyone this is my first visit to the site and could do with some help. I want to extend the kitchen ring main into the conservatory. I need to fit 2 twin sockets and a fused spur for the underfloor heating. The heating will be running at 1.2 to 1.5 Kw. Is this ok or would the heating need to be on its own circuit. There is no underfloor heating in the kithen so I assume the loading on the kitchen ring would be ok.

Sponsored Links
When you applied for Building Regulations approval for all this what did you say would be the way you would comply with P1?

I have not notified. I want to do the work and then get it signed off by an electrician. I need to keep an eye on money at the moment as my job is a bit hit or miss.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for that I think it maybe cheaper to notify and do it myself. If I did do it myself do you think this is ok or would building control give me guidance.

They won't give you guidance.

And the notifying needs to cover heating of a conservatory as well as the electrics - they'll want to see compliance with Part L.

Part L, what does that involve and if an electrician was brought in to do the electrics would they deal with this as well.

Part L, what does that involve

Read, and weep http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/partl/approved

if an electrician was brought in to do the electrics would they deal with this as well.

when a registered electrician does the work he confirms that the work he has done complies with building regulations.

Electrical safety is Part P but he will also have to take care of others (this may include B, C, L, M and others appropriate to the installation).

Ok thanks for that I think it maybe cheaper to notify and do it myself.

I very much doubt it will be cheaper. Why don't you ring them up and ask what they would charge for Notification of DIY electrical work. Then get a quote from an electrician or three. Don't forget cost of materials. Then work out how much (if anything) you are saving and from that work out what it equates to per hour of your time.

Ok thanks for that I think it maybe cheaper to notify and do it myself.

I very much doubt it will be cheaper. Why don't you ring them up and ask what they would charge for Notification of DIY electrical work. Then get a quote from an electrician or three. Don't forget cost of materials. Then work out how much (if anything) you are saving and from that work out what it equates to per hour of your time.

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that a registered electrician will do a good job either... as I have just discovered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back