Advice - Removing chimney, is it worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a new terrace house, there is a large chimney taking up 7ft x 3ft ISH
of space in a bedroom and kitchen.
is it possible

1) remove in the kitchen putting in a joist of some sorts? how much pain and cost would this be, for the space gained?

2)remove in both kitchen and bedroom? how much pain and cost for space gained?

3) or would be have to take who stack out in total?

Sponsored Links
Sorry new to me

it is a 110 year old terrace.
Not the best build quality ive seen, when looking at the brick work whilst removing old plaster..

I may have no idea what I'm on about, aside from owning a house of a similar age so be warned :)

but, if your house is anything like mine you will have single brick gable walls to which the chimney breast will be providing a degree of structural support.

Are the fireplaces blocked in and acting as dead space?

Sponsored Links
the chimney is on the wall joining the neighboring property.
Luckily in the kitchen one has been opened up so it was a fridge and wash in it, but we were looking at the potential of cupboard space.
in the bedroom blocked off

I believe you should notify Building Control and do the necessary 'Party Wall' agreement stuff.

I did mine a couple of years ago and told no-one. Right up, stack 'n' all.
A bit of mess, but the best thing I ever did. The extra space is invaluable.

Did it all myself, except the plastering so couldn't really put a price on it.

Be warned. Be careful.

We moved in 18 months ago to recently discover that a chimney breast had been removed downstairs. After some work to stop stairs from squeaking we uncovered a wall that was 'hanging'. No support, mortar failed, bricks on a downward trend. The previous owners had done it themselves and left it in a very dangerous state. We now have a solicitor onside. :cry:

Take the advice given earlier and get a Building Inspector along!!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back