Advice Request - Qualifications required for home electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out if I'm taking the correct route for what I want to achieve.

Me and partner are looking at moving in the couple of years and as I have done a lot of building and conversion work in our current home (though not electrical) I wanted to be qualified so that in the new house I could sign off on my own work and be covered by insurance.

I'm not trying to switch careers (I freelance making models) but wanted to be sure I had the knowledge and more importantly for the insurance reasons.

As I work from home and have spare time I have enrolled to complete the C&G 2330 Level 2 in college starting this year for 1 year. Is this the correct path to take or is this if I want to become a professional spark ?

Would the Domestic Electrical Installer EAL cover my knowledge/insurance needs ?

Time's not an issue as there's no immediate plans to move I just wanted some advice on the right course for me.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Sponsored Links
The only way to "sign off" your own work from a Building Regulations perspective is to become a registered electrician, i.e. to acquire all the qualifications of a professional. Even if you have the qualifications they'd be no use without registering, and that costs several £'00 a year.

Some LABCs might accept that you're qualified to issue an EIC, but they'll still want their notification fee.

As for insurance, that's entirely up to the insurance companies - they can have whatever requirements they like, within reason.

Thanks for your quick response Sheds.

So I'm right to do C&G 2330 Level 2 ?

Once completed could I issue an EIC for any work completed or would I have to do Level 3 and/or 2391 or 2382 before I could issue one for my own work ?

Craig

You right by taking the 2330 course as it will help you gain underpinning knowledge and then progress to a more advanced level.
But you will not be able to self cert work without being registered on a domestic installers scheme.
Or as BAS has said apply and notify building controls and they will allow you to do the work and on satisfactory completion issue relevant paper work.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
There will be a certain criteria that each scheme will require, qualification to a level of at least 2380 and maybe even 2391, you will need insurance policies and have an assessment done on your knowledge and completed work.

Sponsored Links
And some local authorities will not accept your EIC even if you are qualified, unless you are also registered with one of the trade bodies, e.g. NICEIC but without the domestic installer endorsement.

So best to check with your local authority as to what they require for non-self-certifying electricians/DIY, before you start. They tend to make up their own rules, so you can only be sure by asking the,.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back