Advice required need a solution for my mother's heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Ok to cut the long story short

My mother is 78 this year and lives on her own and she had a bungalow fire and is out of the building at the moment and waiting for insurance to sort things out.

She had a Rayburn fire in her kitchen to cook her food and heat up the water for the bathroom and the kitchen sink. Then a Parkray fire in the living room which would run the central heating (5 radiators).

Anyway Here is the problem

When the insurance get around to sorting things out she insists that she wants another Rayburn fire and wants to continue using coal and is very stubborn in her ways.

We are not really happy with this as times have moved on So i wanted to know what other solutions are available to us to provide her with hot water and central heating. we really do not want a woman of her age going out in all weathers to get coal and tend to fires as we cannot be there with her all of the time due to work etc.

She only has electric going to the property so no gas available as the property is far away from mains gas supply.

I suggested a oil tank and oil heater/cooker of some sort but do not really have a clue what is available out there and what options these heaters have? Or possibly some sort of electric heater cheaper to run than oil but i think not.

Could you guys make some suggestions please or point me the right way.

Looking for:

Something to run heating and hot water and possibly cooking on?
If no cooking available above what can she use to cook with?
Maintenance free as possible?
Cheap to run if possible? (Or best efficiently wise)?
Something the insurers will go with or might go with?

Anything else you can think of, Im no expert on this matter.

Cheers All

Sponsored Links
An oil rayburn or stanley cooker heating the radiators and hot water.
And a dry stove in the living room.

An oil rayburn or stanley cooker heating the radiators.

You have got to be joking.
Oil fired cookers are the "Spawn of the Devil"

Oil fired boiler and electric cooker is the path to follow!!

Their fantastic and popular round my way and cheaper to run than electric. Have fitted a few stanley brandons.
And of course fantastic for cooking.

I wouldn't worry about servicing them. Thats your problem. :LOL:

Sponsored Links

Their fantastic and popular round my way and cheaper to run than electric. Have fitted a few of them.

I wouldn't worry about servicing them. That was your problem.

They are overpriced inefficient and not very reliable. Did I mention noisy??
As for cheaper to run than an electric cooker, How much cooking do you think a woman of 78 living alone does??

The only positive I can think of, is the amount of work they generate for me!

I've never heard reliability being an issue with stanley brandons nor any complaints about efficiency.
Noisey? Nope.
But if your experience differs I'd be interested in hearing about it.

How many stanley brandons are you looking after and what problems are you finding?
How many have you fitted?
And what complaints are you receiving from customers regarding stanley brandons?

How about the price diference?

£3000 for oil fired...................£300 for electric.
You can cook a lot of meals for the price difference.

How about the price diference?

£3000 for oil fired...................£300 for electric.
You can cook a lot of meals for the price difference.

And how does a an electric cooker heat the radiators? :rolleyes:

Can you answer these...
How many stanley brandons are you looking after and what problems are you finding?
How many have you fitted?
And what complaints are you receiving from customers regarding stanley brandons?

FFS I wish you would stop editing your posts!

BTW... Are you on commission!

Hello all

When the insurance get around to sorting things out she insists that she wants another Rayburn fire and wants to continue using coal and is very stubborn in her ways.

p
Cheers All
Get a coal fired room heater - no hot water - and an electric cooker and a oil boiler for the central heating/hot water with an immersion heater in the hot water cylinder . That way the house can be warm . And if the power fails the roomheater can be fired up with coal :idea:

Ok

If we was to go with a oil heater for central heating and possibly a coal fire if no other option is available is there a way to switch over the plumbing to run from either fuel source? like some sort of valve to switch over if you know what i mean? On cold mornings then she can use oil just to get house warmed up?

Also what make oil boilers/burners are any good? and best size to run approx 5 radiators and hot water for kitchen etc?

Thanks

Leigh

No problem linking systems, but obviously much more expensive.
A coal fired boiler will need frequent stoking to maintain the heat.
I thought that you were trying to avoid this.

I find the "Grant" range of boilers to be very good and reliable.

Boiler outputs start at 15 kw but your installer will advise on correct size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back