help required after my father has passed away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i wonder if anyone could help me.
My father recently passed away and i am trying to sort out insurance for my mothers central heating and hot water.
They used to have warm air heating and a hot water tank in the airing cupboard. This was replace when they had radiators installed and the tank in the airing cupboard was replaced with a central heating unit. My mother does not know anything about the system. What is puzzling me is that the also have a water heater in the bathroom( chaffoteaux et maury) i dont know why she has this or if the central heating thing in the airing cupboard gives her hot water. It bothers me as she may need 2 lots of insurance. i'm not sure of the name of the central heating unit but think it may be gloworm.

can i get one insurance that will cover both if she does have 2 systems that do separate jobs? sorry to seem a bit thick but i am confused.

thanks, Gizzie

Sponsored Links
I don't think you will get cover for water heater, but could be wrong. Have they been serviced within the last 12 months, insurance doesn't always cover regular servicing. If not, my advice, as you clearly have no idea about the function or method of operation, is to engage an RGI to fully service all the gas appliances, but engage him on the proviso that he carefully talks through and expains the method of operation of each appliance, and allows you to make notes.

Don't expect him to take ages going through explanations, unlesssd it has been allowed for in his quotation for work.

PS. I'm not having a go at you, but I come across this situation all the time.

thats ok thanks. I have had a look at them myself and found that the hot water heater just heats the water in the house and the gloworm unit is for the central heating. My father did have insurance for the hot water heater so this should not be a problem. My mum will get insurance for each separately that includes an annual service.

thanks for your help

Gizzie

Can you post pics of the "water heater" and of the "central heating thing"?

If not, can you give the model no of the "water heater" and make and model of the "central heating thing"?

Sponsored Links
yes, and the make and model no of the appliances and any controls will enable you to gert new instruction leaflets (theyt are modtly downloadable off the manufacturers' websites now).

Hey Ben, why don't you like Homeserve?
You kidding? I LOVE Homeserve.
In my area, they apparently only use subbies and they don't seem to be the brightest bulbs in the pack. No surprise there if you offer 17 kpa for a qualified engineer.

Lots of unsatisfied customers = lots of people who can't believe their ears when I promise them same day repair, or next working day finish of the job if I need to get parts. Plenty of them were told they need a new boiler, or the insurance won't pay until the system is powerflushed. :rolleyes:
I spoke to one of the in-house managers last year, and he told me that at that point they had ZERO direct labour and ALL the jobs were subbed out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back