ideal mexico super cf 3/70-no hot water,need help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
on friday i changed the pump for the central heating...the old one was screaming and needed to be replaced, i got the system up and running and all is working well, the central heating before was bearly hot but we had hot water! now the central heating is roasting away fine but the hot water is no more.
i have aired the pump and all the radiators with the system off.
this is the second time in two days i have bled the system but still no hot water.
the hot water tank in the airing cupboard is cold and so are the pipes going to it. do i have a blockage?
many thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
More likely to be an airlock, is the hot water gravity or pumped. If it's gravity fed you could try boiling the system.

keego said:
More likely to be an airlock, is the hot water gravity or pumped. If it's gravity fed you could try boiling the system.

the hot water is gravity fed.
(boiling the system!) i take it you mean boil the hot water with the electric??????
thanks keego ;)

kingprawn72 said:
keego said:

(boiling the system!) i take it you mean boil the hot water with the electric??????
thanks keego ;)

Don't even consider it, removing the termostat and boiling the water is something desperate plumbers do when they are stuck for options.

First check the tank has water in it and that the cold feed isn't blocked, then tell us more about the type of system.

Then check that you fitted the new pump the right way round.

You may have to drain it out and refill.

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
kingprawn72 said:
keego said:

thanks keego ;)

Don't even consider it, removing the termostat and boiling the water is something desperate plumbers do when they are stuck for options.

First check the tank has water in it and that the cold feed isn't blocked, then tell us more about the type of system.

Then check that you fitted the new pump the right way round.

You may have to drain it out and refill.

the new pump is the right way round,
i'm gonna check the tank has water.
i did notice the tank in the attic is full of sludge!!
does this have anything to do with it?

Could have a blocked cold feed, try draining some water out the boiler and seeing if the tank replaces it.

doitall said:
Could have a blocked cold feed, try draining some water out the boiler and seeing if the tank replaces it.

ok did that and the tank replaces the water
all the pipes seem to have water running through them when i refilled the system!

we have a boiler in an outroom
with a new motor fitted on friday for the central heating (works fine)
the attic has two tanks a large one and a small one (tanks filling fine)
the airing cupboard has three shutoff valves,
still can't get any hot water!!!!!! :(

kingprawn72 said:
doitall said:

ok did that and the tank replaces the water :(

Thats good, where are the cold feed and vent connected, to the boiler or the cylinder.

Are there any air vents where the flow pipe joins the cylinder.

Have you tried the boiler in hot water only mode.

doitall said:
kingprawn72 said:
doitall said:

ok did that and the tank replaces the water :(

Thats good, where are the cold feed and vent connected, to the boiler or the cylinder.

Are there any air vents where the flow pipe joins the cylinder.

Have you tried the boiler in hot water only mode.

yes there is an air vent at the back of the cylinder in the airing cupboard it runs from downstairs straight to the tank in the attic, i tried the air vent and a load of cack came out and then ran clear water!
the boiler is downstairs and a tank in the airing cupboard with an electric supply, also two tanks in the attic. i can only have the hot water and central heating at the same time. just a thermostat on the wall and a dial on the boiler!

kevplumb said:
Could have a blocked cold feed
far be it for me etc :LOL: ;)

can only be an air lock or scale Kev, cold feed is ok.

If no visible air vents on the primary pipes, then a complete drain down and flush is in order. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

doitall said:
kevplumb said:
Could have a blocked cold feed
far be it for me etc :LOL: ;)

can only be an air lock or scale Kev, cold feed is ok.

If no visible air vents on the primary pipes, then a complete drain down and flush is in order. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cheers doitall.
the system is badly fouled but before i changed the pump on friday
we had hot water and bad central heating now i have no hot water and perfect heating!!!!! :cry:

yes there is an air vent at the back of the cylinder in the airing cupboard it runs from downstairs straight to the tank in the attic, i tried the air vent and a load of cack came out and then ran clear water!
the boiler is downstairs and a tank in the airing cupboard with an electric supply, also two tanks in the attic. i can only have the hot water and central heating at the same time. just a thermostat on the wall and a dial on the boiler!

Turn the heating off and run the boiler in hot water only mode, how far does the heat travel, and if you have an air vent keep trying for more air as it should build up to the higher point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back