Advice required on DIY mains IEC leads for home cinema kit

Oh, and before i forget to say it....thanks to all of you for all the input you have given, i really do appreciate it. :D

Sponsored Links
Oh, and Jason....please dont place a landing beacon outside my house, ive already got a bloody 6m mobile phone mast 2 steps from my front door........a beacon is only gonna make people think im runnin a small airport ! :LOL:

Jason - I know why the equipment makers use IEC connectors - I was just saying that if someone was concerned about the quality of the electrical contacts of such an arrangement that the cheapest and most effective resolution is to do away with any form of connector, no matter what precious metals it's plated with, or how cold it once was, and go back to having the cable soldered directly to the inputs of the power supply section.....

Steve - the mechanical loading I meant was the weight of the cable acting on the plug.

That little connector goes horizontally into a little receptacle, and the expectation is that the force acting downwards on the end of the plug will be small, from a small light cable.

If you've got a sodding great heavy cable the force will be much greater. Even if the heatshrink tubing means that the cores don't get pulled out of the terminals inside the C7 connector, it'll do absolutely zip to prevent the connector being twisted inside the C8 receptacle, and possibly being dragged out if it gets to an angle where there's a sufficient axial component.

Sponsored Links
Ban,

Totally appreciate what your saying about the weight of the cable having implications on the connection between male and female c7 connectors.....i had thought of trying to relieve some of this by using cable ties to "support" the cable itself, attatched to something nearby to give adequate support for the weight of the cable itself so as not to place a burden on the join between male and female connections.

The photos there, if you look at the cable markings, show the use of 2.5 3 core cy.......if they managed to do that and are selling it, surely, i could create my own and have it equally rigid?
Oh well if they're selling it it must be fine.

I mean - in the whole of recorded human history there's never been one instance of people selling products which are poor quality/unreliable/unsafe/not what they say they are, has there?

:rolleyes:

I wonder if that product complies with all the standards that it should do to be sold in this country?

Perhaps I'll find out where the seller is and ask his local Trading Standards to investigate.....

I would consider altering the appliance, but, well, im not comfortable with opening the lid and altering the giblets inside.....i know you probably think im off my rocker, but literally, all im tryin to do is replicate the type of leads that weve all seen on sale by snake oil vendors, at a price thats realistic to me.

Im not arsed if the solder tabs are plated with krypton :LOL: , id prefer silver obviously........(can you tell ive been bitten by that fookin snake or what :LOL: )

Seriously, just want low cost , DIY improvements. Could be a waste of money i guess but im fookin ******ed if im gonna give some twit £40 or £50 for a lead i can do myself for a tenner or so!

Dya get me? :D

I should if i were you Ban :) .....i was thinking of writing a strongly worded letter to the white star line myself.....................

That 2.5mm CY into IEC C7 picture?

Insane, seriously.
- They have got it together by using *adhesive* heatshrink
- That creates 1) a highly rigid assembly 2) a very long assembly
- Mechanically the C7 receptacle is not designed for it
- Electrically it is just not acceptable

Buy a good Schurter premade C7 tailed or tailed w/plug cable.

2.5mm is beyond the specification of BS1363/A plugs.
They might have got away with it via a crimped pin (ratchet tool £20+).

What is the point in 2.5mm?

Oh, and Jason....please dont place a landing beacon outside my house, ive already got a bloody 6m mobile phone mast 2 steps from my front door
Mobile phone mast!
eek.gif

You should get one of these:

foil-hat.jpg

Many wearers report the following benefits -
  • Greatly improved clarity of thinking
  • Dramatically reduced colouration of ideas
  • Massively lowered comprehension noise floor

I know you guys know your eggs ... im not even gonna argue that.

The information you have given is priceless, and appreciated.

In terms of specifications etc, BS standards etc.....im obvioulsy not up to date with all the stuff you guys know.

All i know is that ive seen this configuration on many websites etc and i guess i deemed that the intended application was ok....i even phoned Lapp to ask them about it and the tech guy said that it wouldnt pose a problem (relating to braid earthing, attatching to a normal 13a plug etc)

So, i have gone along with what ive been told by the manufacturers.

Now, im told different by you guys, what advice am i supposed to follow?

Assuming a few things i would like to know your opinions

1. If i can fit said cable into both ends, bearing in mind, properly sheathed cores , cable weight supported to avoid flex/strain - how does that stack up?

2. Earthing said shield at plug end only - again properly sheathed - is that ok?

3. I was gonna type something else here but i forgot...... :LOL:

Ban, thats the old Mk 2 version.........wheres your blu tak diversifiers? - for god sake man! , think of your safety! :LOL:

seriously, if i had a mast that close to my front door I'd have the grinder out to it every time they put it back up untill they arrested me or moved the damn thing..

they are dangerous..

The mast signals must have addled my brain col, hence thinking of these inteference reducing fooking DIY mains cables :LOL:

I think this is a gross simplication.
The real solution is to build a faraday cage around the room with the hifi.

BTW, the places that do the actual audio recording?
- Their power supply just has a built-in mains filter
- Their signal cables are just decent Belden

BTW, the places that do the actual video recording?
- If it's the BBC it requires 24 people and you pay
- If it's C4 it requires 2 people and the advertisers pay
- Nasty generators & 200m H07 cable reels bigger than SETI aerials

Nowhere are CY cable, PET cover, gold plated BS1363/A plugs.

CY braid is 80-82% cover, SWA is 90%, so realise the tin hat has ruddy great big gaps in it! Ah, but so neutrinos can pass unhindered through it.

Audiophile Mains Cords are PURELY desperate "what else can be upsell?".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back