Advice required on DIY mains IEC leads for home cinema kit

Sponsored Links
Ban, thats the old Mk 2 version.........wheres your blu tak diversifiers? - for god sake man! , think of your safety! :LOL:
I thought you said phone mast?

You only need blutak if it's an electricity pylon :rolleyes:

Are you sure it's a mobile phone mast, and not a police Tetra radio one?

If it is Tetra you need ceramic spacers to keep the hat at ¼ wavelength away from your head. This will require you to shave your head to get the spacing accurate, but it'll be worth it.

Ban, if im already bald, is it sufficient to place a suitably thick layer of folded kitchen foil across my shiny head to the recommended thickness, then don the afore mentioned headwear and still be suitably protected?

i should possibly use cling film to envelop the kitchen foil tho, to act as an insulator.............

Sponsored Links
No - you need the air gap under the foil.

Some people claim that you can use worn panties instead of the ceramic spacers, but I think they're a bit odd...

Hmmmm....its quite possible that the high content of urea in the panties could produce an elctrochemical barrier........

well folks, im off to bed, gonna sneak a pair of the missus' knickers and try them out on site tomorrow..........dya reckon i will look alright? :eek:

*BUY* 10m of CY?!

You should be PAYING US.

We have saved you...
- £5 on a gold-plated C7 plug (weep)
- £10 on a Clipsal IP66 plug or £15 on the MK thing (which wobble in sockets)
- £10 on a WattNoKYGate plug (weep)
- £5 on adhesive heatshrink
- £5 on plasters from burning yourself soldering, plus carpet holes
- £5 on paracetemol from trying to fit the stuff

Plus repeat the £40 for £40+40 when you can't make it fit on first go.

The adhesive glue will get everywhere, you can't get the braid right, the 2.5mm is too big for the plug terminals, the cord grip strips & jumps, the IEC connector just laughs as you hold the wire near it vainly hoping for inspiration as to how to make it fit. The C7 plug just ends up looking like a tube as you progressively file away more and more material to get the o.d. in only to end up covering it in adhesive heatshrink or self-amalgamating the cable, the plug & the entire hifi component. After which the C7 plug still falls out or wobbles in revenge for its emaciation.

Go buy 1.5mm H07RNF.
Then cover it in PET braiding, a bit of adhesive heatshrink.
Buy MK Duraplug 4-way strip. £12.
Buy MK PF133OR rubber plug so you can grip it and you see it before your knees find the upturned pins as you crawl around plugging stuff. £2.

When the BS8436 reels piles too high, they will push its "screened" qualities on the audiophile crowd who will announce a £1200/reel "cryo" version. Rewire right back to your meter. It's PILC/SWA to the sub afterall.

I'm not actually sure the moulded strain relief on a Schurter IEC plug has a hole big enough to actually take even the o.d. of 1.5mm cable. You'd have to check Schurter specs. They are a worse design to hand wire than a BS1363 plug because the contact pins are not particularly retained, they sort of hopefully latch over pegs and thus the idea of getting 2.5mm & braid in is... delightful if you are a masochist. No wonder they charge so much, it is for the therapty after doing it.

Appreciate what you are saying Jason.

I suppose it will prove tedious trying to fit the cable into both ends...

The supposed plan was - yes, braid into MK plug side but NOT into c7/c13 side......that would be l/n for the c7 and l/n/e for the c13.

Im very doubtful i would burn holes in owt as i am competent ..... besideds, unlikely that i would do it on the bessie lounge carpet in the first place!

Looked to me by the pics i posted that it IS physically possible to succesfully terminate 2.5mm CY within the plugs intended - yes, may prove fiddley etc but looks possible.

Ban,

I went ahead and bought the cable based on the information provided to me by the cable manufacturer....at least i had made the effort to find and research suitablity before doing anything (havent actually don anything else).

Lapp told me that it would be ok to terminate as suggested.

Appreciate everyones views here - without sounding arrogant, i would say that some peoples views towards audiphilia can be rather scathing and i accept the fact that there are lots of unscrupulous money grabbers out there selling guff.

Steve as long as you keep asking they will keep posting! Make up the cables, take some pictures, prove the doubters wrong/right and happy viewing/listening. If 2.5mm does not fit/work then get some 1.5mm.
At the end of the day you are going to be using the cables and if they make you happy then it does not matter what anybody else thinks.
Simplesss thiwp (as the meerkat would say).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back