Advice required on finishing an oak worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have cut a 40mm solid oak block worktop and sanded ready for its finish. The wood used has not been finished with any product before. Photo attached.

//media.diynot.com/130000_129839_42355_38307370_thumb.jpg

The worktop is to be used as a desk mostly for myself but I expect that it will take a bit of hammer when the kids do their work at it from time to time.

I am aware that I could either oil or lacquer the worktop. Could anyone who is experienced provide guidance on what would be the best option in this case?

Additionally, some expert tips on getting the finish right would be much appreciated as I plan to apply the finish myself.

Thanks. View media item 42355

Sponsored Links
Osmo top oil. wipe on 5 coats unless you have a very good quality brush.

Be sure to wipe off any excess oil with a lint free cloth. An old clean white T-shirt works well.

The Idea is to work the oil into the grain not just paint it on the wood.[/b]

Sponsored Links
Osmo Top Oil 3058 is a good choice.

It's better to avoid varnishes because although they are tough, once they get scratched or chipped, the only real option is to sand the whole thing back and start again.

With the top oil, it's just a case of a quick wipe over with a denibbing pad and re-applying a fresh coat - Hey Presto, as good as new again.

Osmo Top Oil 3058 is fairly inexpensive too, £14.99 for a 500ml tin, this is enough to do a single coat over a 12 square meter area. 2 coats over 6 square meters, 3 coats over 4 meters square etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back