Oak vs Beech worktops - is Oak worth the Premium?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to get 2 oak worktops ( about £150/each unfinished for a bit better quality 40mm wide staves),
however I got offered 2 beech worktops now for £62/each which seems like a bargain.
This is for rather low budget kitchen refurb and I'm making everything myself but wanted to get better worktops which will last and look better.

It sounds tempting and they obviously look almost the same when finished, however.. have never worked with beech so not sure how good wood it is?
What are the main differences really? Is it as or nearly as durable as oak? Does it ages well?

Sponsored Links
Beech definitely won't be as hard as the oak, but then they are completely different, they won't look the same, the beech will be loads lighter in colour that the oak

Oak has one major problem, IMHO. It can stain very badly if people insist on leaving damp cast iron or steel pots and pans on it. From an installation point of view it is also a lot harder on edge tools

The oak worktops could make a cheap kitchen refurb look great, or look completely out of character, so it's difficult to comment without seeing the kitchen and the units. As long as it's well sealed, beech will be just as durable. Oak requires stainless steel screws, but I'm not sure about beech though.

Sponsored Links
Oak requires stainless steel screws, but I'm not sure about beech though.
Oak, mahogany and walnut all contain largish amounts of tannin which is why you need to use stainless steel screws with them, ideally

(Quick chemistry lesson: Tannin + water = tannic acid. Tannic acid + iron or steel = black ferrous oxide or black rust. Stainless steel isn't reactive like mild steel)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back