Advice sought on powerful yet attractive kitchen extractor

DAZB - I, and plenty of others here, regularly criticise plans to fit small recessed downlighters, so what's the difference when someone has already done it? And I'd like you to note that it wasn't I who made the initial criticism - I was just defending the principle of making it in the first place

You and I draw the line in different places, and the where is a valid discussion point, but you would not give unconditional advice to someone irrespective of what you thought of their plans, so don't you dare try to tell me that I mustn't!

Sponsored Links
BAS,

I have already explained that my lighting has no environmental impact whatsoever so how can you *possibly* find fault with it.

I notice you neglected to comment on that.

My lighting has less impact than your precious CFL's for a number of reasons...

1) Your CO2 footprint is bigger than mine. Even if I lit my entire house 24x7 with thousands of halogen downlighters, you would still be more environmentally unsound than me - unless of course you buy your energy from the same place I do.

2) My lamps aren't full of heavy metals and various other nasty things, and won't be leaving a legacy for future generations to deal with when it comes to disposing of them.

3) My halogen lights are 100% efficient. They are generating a mixture of heat and light - further offsetting my emissions by contributing to the trace heating of my property during the winter months.

Please tell me how I could create the same effects and atmosphere using fluorescent light fittings? They have a horrible colour temperature and don't dim properly (even the 'dimmable' ones). They also aren't that reliable. That kitchen has been complete for 18 months now and I haven't replaced a single lamp...

You know - I'm fed up with this now. I have created the look that *I* wanted and it is harming no-one. Perhaps if I had posted seeking advice on my proposed lighting plan, it would have been a valid discussion - but given that the work was completed so long ago, it's utterly futile.

Anyway, I may have come up with a plan. I could possibly fit a vent into the tall larder unit to the right of the oven housings and install a remote fan in the rear wall of the house. I will investigate the practicalities of this later.

I've got an island extractor over the hob which does a great job with steam and the usual cooking smells -

hiya, can you tell me what make/model your island extractor is as i am looking to get one. also is it noisy?
i am amazed at the price of these units compared to wall mounting ones
also a lot of them are a small extractor with a big bit of glass around them. i want one like yours thats all metal. cheapest one i can find that i like is £800!

Slup, firstly please ignore BAS as much as you can, he is a big headed tw@ in my opinion. Moving on, you could try Alco Engineering www.alcoeng.co.uk for ventilation and canopies. They have 55yrs experience with commercial and industrial and stainless steel ventilation systems. They can supply decent fans and speed controllers too which 'actually work' unlike a lot of fans I see in domestic environments these days.

May be of some help. :D

Sponsored Links
squowse,

Mine is glass and metal I'm afraid and I dare not say how much it cost as some of the more judgemental people on here will probably try and lynch me... It is moderately noisy. The manufacturer is Elica - prices here

flyingsparks,

Exactly the sort of helpful advice I was hoping for. I'm definitely thinking that some kind of commercial unit is going to be more useful.

squowse,

Mine is glass and metal I'm afraid and I dare not say how much it cost as some of the more judgemental people on here will probably try and lynch me... It is moderately noisy. The manufacturer is Elica - prices here

flyingsparks,

Exactly the sort of helpful advice I was hoping for. I'm definitely thinking that some kind of commercial unit is going to be more useful.

thanks, i can't see the glass - it must be in the bottom panel? the ones i don't like have it as a surround.
well i'm going to keep my eyes peeled on ebay as it's a bit more than i want to pay.

BAS,

I have already explained that my lighting has no environmental impact whatsoever so how can you *possibly* find fault with it.

I notice you neglected to comment on that.
I neglected to comment on it as I saw no point in prolonging the argument, but since you seem to want a comment I will.

My lighting has less impact than your precious CFL's for a number of reasons...

1) Your CO2 footprint is bigger than mine. Even if I lit my entire house 24x7 with thousands of halogen downlighters, you would still be more environmentally unsound than me - unless of course you buy your energy from the same place I do.
There is not an infinite supply of such energy, so every kW you burn is a kW that can't be used by someone else.

2) My lamps aren't full of heavy metals and various other nasty things, and won't be leaving a legacy for future generations to deal with when it comes to disposing of them.
So why not use an efficient form of incandescent lighting? I'm not opposed to incandescents, nor do I think that CFLs are as "green" as made out. But try to imagine how bright your rooms would be if lit by the equivalent number of 60W or 100W GLS pendants. The difference between that and what you've got will show you how inefficient your current scheme is.

3) My halogen lights are 100% efficient. They are generating a mixture of heat and light - further offsetting my emissions by contributing to the trace heating of my property during the winter months.
So why not switch to an efficient form of lighting and an efficient form of heating?

Please tell me how I could create the same effects and atmosphere using fluorescent light fittings?
I think you may have confused me with someone who gives a stuff about what you want in terms of effects and atmosphere.

You know - I'm fed up with this now.
And I'm fed up seeing lighting installations like yours.

I have created the look that *I* wanted
See above re selfishness.

and it is harming no-one.
B*ll*cks.

Perhaps if I had posted seeking advice on my proposed lighting plan, it would have been a valid discussion - but given that the work was completed so long ago, it's utterly futile.
Does no harm - you should not become immune from criticism of wrongdoing just because you've already done it.

Fancy a pint Slup and Flyingsparks ? I'm buying....ha ha ha

On a seperate note, the wholier than thou BAS goes on about saving energy and just look at his post count in relation to his start date. It works out at an average of very nearly 9 posts a day every day for 5 years 5 months and 5 days . Turn it off man and walk the dog or something.

I can't let this one go either.
Who the f**k does BAS think he is !
Yet another green do gooder tree hugger preaching to others about their 'carbon footprint'.
Every room in my house has 50w GU10 downlights and I think that they look great, that's why I have them.
If you don't like them, then that's also great, but don't carry on slagging other people off because in 'your opinion' they 'ruin our environment'

By the way, just to rub salt into the wound, I drive a Range Rover Sport V8 (petrol, because I hate diesel) and the wife drives a petrol V6 Freelander.
I suppose that I can afford to buy and run these vehicles because I'm forever installing 50w GU10 downlights in customers premises, as that's what they ask for !

.............and we all know 'The customer is always right !!

I can't let this one go either.
Who the f**k does BAS think he is !
Yet another green do gooder tree hugger preaching to others about their 'carbon footprint'.
Every room in my house has 50w GU10 downlights and I think that they look great, that's why I have them.
If you don't like them, then that's also great, but don't carry on slagging other people off because in 'your opinion' they 'ruin our environment'

By the way, just to rub salt into the wound, I drive a Range Rover Sport V8 (petrol, because I hate diesel) and the wife drives a petrol V6 Freelander.
I suppose that I can afford to buy and run these vehicles because I'm forever installing 50w GU10 downlights in customers premises, as that's what they ask for !

.............and we all know 'The customer is always right !!

how strange to be proud how much energy you can waste, cos "it's great"

That is slightly different to my argument where I have repeatedly pointed out that my choices are carbon neutral.

I still fail to see how any of my choices were selfish, and let's get realistic - just how ridiculous would pendants with 60W GLS lamps in them look in that kitchen.

The main source of light in that room is the concealed cold cathode stuff and not the halogens - but again, I'm the only person who has mentioned it.

Fancy a pint Slup and Flyingsparks ? I'm buying....ha ha ha.

Hehe, yea alright DAZB!! Anyone else who thinks BAS is an arrogant sod is welcome too. Its about time people started sticking up for themselves when it comes to him.. Just because he has such a high post rate, because he has nothing better to do than sit on his fat arse all day in front of a computer, doesnt give him the right to be arrogant and rude. Point made??

Would all posters please note the following when making a request for help:

Please detail your house insulation specifications, lighting type, boiler type, glazing system, annual flights taken, type of car driven, energy provider and moral belief systems.

This is all vital in helping to decide whether to answer your question on a cooker hood.

BAS. its people like you who make environemntal campaigners jobs impossible, by giving off the impression we are all dour nutjobs who think we have the right to criticise their peronal lifestyle choices. Get a grip.

interesting, bas hasnt been on this topic now for 2hr 20mins......i wonder if he is scared to come back because he knows we are right??? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back