Extractor Fan for Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a new flat and could do with getting an extractor fan put in as there isn't one at present in the bathroom just a vent above the shower which isn't very effective. Opening window & having heating on doesn't work too well in trying to get rid of steam from shower or bath.

Today I have taken off the grill and cleaned it as well as cleaned the hole in the wall to the outside vent which was full of cobwebs etc.

The hole is 7" width by 6¼ to 6½" height. In mm that is 190 width by 160 to 165mm height.

I was going to get an extractor fan fitted into this hole. What type of extractor would you advise I get put in?

Reading up on this I believe because of the position of the hole I may need to get a SELV one? Is this correct? It is roughly 1 foot or so away from the top of the shower head when it is near the top of the shower pole.

Can you also tell me, is it best to use the electricity from the light socket or to run separate wiring into there with an isolation switch outside the bathroom? If I am getting a 12v SELV extractor would the transformer be built into the fan or located remotely from there?

Sponsored Links
depends entirely on the fan..

if you get one that is on a humidistat then you just wire the transformer ( located away from the shower, usually by the door ) to the live side of the lights ( via a 3 pole fan isolator )

if you want it to come on with the lights then you wire the transformer ( as above but with a switched live also) to the lights via the 3 pole fan isolator ( the main reason they are 3 pole )

you may need a different transformer if you want it timed as with a selv fan the timer part may be in the transformer.

Sorry, this is an off-topic hello to Col....!

Hope all is well with you!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back