Bathroom extractor fan position on wall

S

Sam8372

I've just had an electrician install a new extractor fan. They've installed it at 5'9" (~175cm) from the floor which seems low to me (the ceiling is 8ft high). Will it still be effective at that height as it's below the shower screen height?

I've also just noticed the pipe in the wall is sloping upwards to the outside (the bottom of the outside hole looks like it's near the top of the extractor fan). Is that correct? Won't that cause any condensation to drain into the bathroom?

After it was installed they said there had been a problem with the position as there used to be a window there and the hole was where the old lintel was. They didn't say until afterwards though or I'd have said to put it somewhere else. I'm just wondering if it will be okay as it is or if it should be moved.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You are quite right that the ducting should not tilt upwards to the outside.

Unfortunately a lot of fans are badly installed, often because of obstacles in the way such as old lintels as you mention.

When you're drilling big holes in hard walls, unaware of any hidden obstacles within the wall, it's sometimes a relief to get any sort of a pipe route.

However, that's no excuse for poor planning.

Generally the fan should be reasonably near to the ceiling, but there will be cases where this not practical.

All to often people drill a 4 inch hole through the wall immediately below the ceiling, unaware that a joist is sat in the wall 2 inches above.

Send pictures, and we may be able to tell you if the fan could have been placed in a better position.

(It sounds like you have already found a better place for it.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back