Most powerful bathroom extractor fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a bathroom extractor fan which is not efficient at clearing the steam from the shower. The fan is fitted in the loft. It does not have a clear manufacturers label - what it does say is
SHOWER FAN STANDARD
220-240V~50Hz
15W
CE IP44
LIEFERANT / SUPPLIED BY APL

Can the forum please advise on the best most powerful bathroom extractor fan?

Sponsored Links
So it is one of the in-line fans?
ie the fan is up in the roof space?

Efficiency of the fan can be compromised by:

1. Rubbish fan
2. Fan in the wrong place (it needs to be as far away as possible from where air will come into the room)
3. Bad air inlet. If the door fits too well then the fan will be trying to create a vacuum. . If you have a 4inch fan, you need the equivalent of a 4inch opening - cut the bottom off the door.
4. Duct run too long. Those cheapo little 4inch fans can barely pump up 2 metres of duct.

Suggest you check out the above. Maybe install bigger duct. Change fan for something like this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLTD350SILENT.html

900mm diameter ... 10.2 horse power (7.5kW) motor ...

resize20fan.jpg

:LOL:

No -but seriously - you can get 12" wall fans which will do in excess of 1000m³/h, inline ones which will do even more.

Your choice is limited only by budget, as long as you don't mind replacing the ducting - if not what size is that?

One thing to check is that you've got an adequate supply of incoming air - e.g. a gap under the bathroom door - no fan will work if it's creating a vacuum in the room.

Thanks gents. The ducting size is 4". I'd like to replace the fan only.
There is quite a good gap at the bottom of the door

Sponsored Links
No, but the OP appears to have a problem clearing steam from his bathroom. One great way is to use a fan with an over-run timer.

I've just had a look in the RF Lighting book of good electrical practice, and it says a timer over-run is best for a bathroom.

Rexel Senate do a similar fan with timer for £72.88 plus VAT (similar to the Manrose and TLC fan)

The code is SFAN100SFXT

No, but the OP appears to have a problem clearing steam from his bathroom. One great way is to use a fan with an over-run timer.
Or buy a fan like the MF100 which does a proper job at the time (even has two speeds for the long soak in the shower) rather than have to rely on a timer, but.... to cover all bases here is the timer version of the fan
http://www.fans4less.co.uk/product/MF100T_MF100T

Cliverol, did you manage to get a replacement fan/timer? I have exactly the same fan that you had. It's stopped working - sounds like bearings went. I would like to replace with something that will be a straight swap on the wiring etc. thanks if you can let me know which model you put in instead.
Willmo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back