Advice sought on powerful yet attractive kitchen extractor

That is slightly different to my argument where I have repeatedly pointed out that my choices are carbon neutral.
Yes, of course they are.

Because wind turbines grow on trees, don't they, and don't have to be manufactured, or transported, and nobody ever has to drive to them to carry out maintenance.

And hydro-electric schemes never alter natural water-courses, and never flood farmland or people's houses, and as we all know the manufacture of concrete, used in colossal amounts for the dams, is an extraordinarily environmentally friendly process.

And transmission lines are just some form of natural vine, aren't they - not aluminium which requires huge amounts of energy to refine, or made from bauxite which is produced by strip mining.

How silly of me not to realise that just because you buy your electricity from Good Energy that you can use as much as you like and your consumption of it it will have absolutely no environmental effects whatsoever.

I still fail to see how any of my choices were selfish
That doesn't surprise me.

and let's get realistic - just how ridiculous would pendants with 60W GLS lamps in them look in that kitchen.
They would not look good, but I wasn't suggesting that as an alternative, merely that you think about how little useful illumination your downlighters produce in comparison and wonder if such inefficiency is a good idea.

The main source of light in that room is the concealed cold cathode stuff and not the halogens - but again, I'm the only person who has mentioned it.
So like I said, you're using electricity for trivial decorative purposes.

Sponsored Links
BAS. its people like you who make environemntal campaigners jobs impossible, by giving off the impression we are all dour nutjobs who think we have the right to criticise their peronal lifestyle choices. Get a grip.
If you don't criticise people's "personal lifestyle choices" how will you ever make the point that they need to make changes in their "personal lifestyle choices" in order to reduce the damaging impact of their "personal lifestyle choices"?

Take a step back, and read through this thread again.

Someone (not I) started the criticism of the slup's lights, he said "let's skip the comments about the lighting shall we" whereupon I defended the principle of being allowed to criticise his lighting choices.

And my oh my - look at the calm and polite, reasoned responses that has generated.

Show me where I have suggested that slup not post here because of his lighting choices.

Show me where I have said that he shouldn't get help on his ventilation problem because of his lighting choices.

And maybe they weren't of any actual use, but show me where I haven't suggested whatever I could think of to help with his ventilation problem because of his lighting choices.

Arrogant and rude?

Read these, and tell me who is really being out of order here:

Slup, firstly please ignore BAS as much as you can, he is a big headed tw@ in my opinion.
I am sorry but you are a self righteous nutcase...
On a seperate note, the wholier than thou BAS goes on about saving energy and just look at his post count in relation to his start date. It works out at an average of very nearly 9 posts a day every day for 5 years 5 months and 5 days . Turn it off man and walk the dog or something.
Who the f**k does BAS think he is !
Yet another green do gooder tree hugger preaching to others about their 'carbon footprint'.
Hehe, yea alright DAZB!! Anyone else who thinks BAS is an arrogant s** is welcome too. Its about time people started sticking up for themselves when it comes to him.. Just because he has such a high post rate, because he has nothing better to do than sit on his fat a**e all day in front of a computer, doesnt give him the right to be arrogant and rude. Point made??

The original question was about help with his ventilation and at no point did it say 'would you also please all contribute your moral opinions on my use of lighting' did it. It is not your business BAS whatever he uses and no matter what you think of his choices you have no opinion on THAT matter. You do not live with him or contribute to paying for them so concern yourself with your lifestyle choice and let others do the same. If you can shed any more light (pun intended) on his question regarding his ventilation I am sure he will be happy to hear from you.

Sponsored Links
Well, you are preaching to others, aren't you ?
Show me where I'm asking people who the f**k they think they are.

Show me where I'm calling them big headed tw@s, self righteous nutcases or arrogant s**s.

Then explain to me why that is a rational and intelligent justification for me to not be permitted to express my point of view.

The original question was about help with his ventilation and at no point did it say 'would you also please all contribute your moral opinions on my use of lighting' did it.
No, it did not, but then I don't need his permission to contribute my opinion, and nor do you have the right to tell me I must not.

It is not your business BAS whatever he uses and no matter what you think of his choices you have no opinion on THAT matter.
I do have an opinion, and I do believe it is my business, at least to the extent of being able to pass comment on a forum like this.

Anyone would think I was kicking his door down and ripping out his lights the way you and others are carrying on.

You do not live with him or contribute to paying for them so concern yourself with your lifestyle choice and let others do the same.
You wouldn't.

I can guarantee you that there would come a point where you would not let others concern themselves with their personal lifestyle choice no matter what you thought of it.

You and I draw the line in different places, and the where is a valid discussion point, but you would not give unconditional advice to someone irrespective of what you thought of their plans, so don't you dare try to tell me that I may not do the same.

I think you are missing the point now aren't you. His question was about his ventilation. Regardless of what you think of his lights he wasn't asking for you to comment. If you want to criticise him for his choice of lights then start a new thread about it because this one is seeking an answer to a ventilation problem. As for saying I wouldn't let others choose their own lifestyle choices, believe me I have enough to worry about right now in my own life without worrying about how much leccy some bloke is wasting because his lights aren't quite as ultra efficient as possible. Slup said in his earlier post to 'leave his lights out of it' but you just can't let it be can you ? You need to get off your soapbox now and stop telling others your uninvited opinions on their life because it is clearly not welcome.

I think you are missing the point now aren't you. His question was about his ventilation. Regardless of what you think of his lights he wasn't asking for you to comment.
How come you aren't attacking Steve?

He was actually the one who started the criticism of the lights - all I've done in the main is to defend the principle of making such comments.

If you want to criticise him for his choice of lights then start a new thread about it because this one is seeking an answer to a ventilation problem.
And where I have carried on saying anything to him about his lights it's because he has dragged the issue up again. Have you noticed how if he doesn't get replies to his statements he writes something along the lines of "oh I see you're not taking any notice of the things I say".

You and he can't have it both ways.

As for saying I wouldn't let others choose their own lifestyle choices, believe me I have enough to worry about right now in my own life without worrying about how much leccy some bloke is wasting because his lights aren't quite as ultra efficient as possible.
Uncle Pervy said:
My sister has two daughters aged 3 & 5 - can someone tell me how best to wire a hidden camera in the bathroom so that I can spy on them when they come to stay
DAZB who would never dare to question someone else's lifestyle choices said:
_________________________________________________?

Slup said in his earlier post to 'leave his lights out of it' but you just can't let it be can you ?
No more than you can let my belief that passing criticism of his lights was valid. The amount of venom and abuse that you and your fellow travellers is spewing out at me is outrageous, and grossly disproportionate to what I have said to slup.

You need to get off your soapbox now and stop telling others your uninvited opinions on their life because it is clearly not welcome.
You need to get off your soapbox now and stop telling others your uninvited opinions on their right to make comments on this forum because it is clearly not welcome.

BAS - you talk about reading back through my post, have you ever considered taking your own advice?

'So like I said, you're using electricity for trivial decorative purposes.'

BAS - if lighting was just about keeping a room light enough to see around in at night we could all still use candles, or maybe go hightech and have a few leds dotted around.

But you know thats nonsense, lighting is about decoration, look, style and lots of other 'trivial' things.

The reason you got such a caustic response from the other posters is you appear to have no tact, and when requested to leave the lights out of it after making your point you did not, you just dug your heels in and decided to try and swipe at everything the chap had to say about his energy use.

I hope you are not wasting energy on a trivial thing like a computer connected to the internet.

The reason you got such a caustic response from the other posters is you appear to have no tact,
No tact?

Slup, firstly please ignore BAS as much as you can, he is a big headed tw@ in my opinion.
I am sorry but you are a self righteous nutcase...
On a seperate note, the wholier than thou BAS goes on about saving energy and just look at his post count in relation to his start date. It works out at an average of very nearly 9 posts a day every day for 5 years 5 months and 5 days . Turn it off man and walk the dog or something.
Who the f**k does BAS think he is !
Yet another green do gooder tree hugger preaching to others about their 'carbon footprint'.
Hehe, yea alright DAZB!! Anyone else who thinks BAS is an arrogant s** is welcome too. Its about time people started sticking up for themselves when it comes to him.. Just because he has such a high post rate, because he has nothing better to do than sit on his fat a**e all day in front of a computer, doesnt give him the right to be arrogant and rude. Point made??

and when requested to leave the lights out of it after making your point you did not,
Try reading the whole thread again. The request to leave the lights out of it was not directed at me, because at that point I hadn't said anything about the lights, nor was I going to bother. My original post in relation to the lights was prompted by slup's demand that he be immune from criticism.

you just dug your heels in and decided to try and swipe at everything the chap had to say about his energy use.
Try reading the whole thread again and looking for the instances where slup has repeated himself to complain, or observe, that he hadn't been responded to.

You and he can't have it both ways - you can't on the one hand say "why didn't you reply to <whatever>" and on the other say "why won't you leave it alone" when I do reply to <whatever>.

And if you think for one minute that I am going to sit quietly by and not defend myself against people asking me who the f**k I think I am, and calling me a big headed tw@, a self righteous nutcase and an arrogant s** just because they disagree with what I say then you are grievously mistaken.

mmm... So, in an attempt to respond to the original post, I did come across these a while ago when I was looking for a bathroom extractor:

http://www.epicair.co.uk/kitchen-extractor-fans-c-32.html

...although some of these are DAZB's Plumbworld link in the first page too. Can't imagine what some of those would be like to clean though...

BAS , how come I aren't attacking Steve ? because he isn't going on about it. He was asked to leave the lights out of it and kindly did so. As for the Uncle Pervy link.......no idea what it has to do with this post. And finally you have taken to repeating my listings a few times now with your final paragraphs. You need a rest every few hours from your monitor you know . Actually , I've worked out why you have such a high post count.... you start a trivial argument and it gives you something to do for a while while racking up the replies. Well I've had enough of participating in this and maybe if more of us ignored you this forum would get back to the good advice it is renowned for . Anyone got a DIY problem I can help them with ?

BAS , how come I aren't attacking Steve ? because he isn't going on about it. He was asked to leave the lights out of it and kindly did so.
So would I if people didn't keep on insulting me, attacking my right to comment and demanding to know why I hadn't responded to something they'd said.

As for the Uncle Pervy link.......no idea what it has to do with this post.
It has to do with exposing the fatuous notion that people can ask absolutely anything and not have their "lifestyle choices" criticised.

Actually , I've worked out why you have such a high post count.... you start a trivial argument
I've started nothing.

I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed if you think that you can expect every contributor to this forum to never say anything that you don't happen to like.

Well I've had enough of participating in this and maybe if more of us ignored you this forum would get back to the good advice it is renowned for.
If that means an end to your petty, pathetic and childish insults then I'm sure everyone will be relieved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back