Advise about curved frame construction for inset bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope this is the right subforum for this; I'm replacing a dodgy old whirlpool bath (Mrs is a bit funny about all the holes and jets) with a reinforced acryclic one.

It's an offset corner due to the size and position - I'm going to build a frame (probably tanalised 3x2), ply on the top with appropriate cutout, tank+tile around it (likely mosaic) before the bath goes in.

The front panel will also be tiled and will likely use a flexi backer board like schluter or jackoboard (any recommendations/suppliers?), it's going wall to wall, approx 1700mm in a straight line. I'm planning on engineering this so an access panel is present for plumbing access.

My question; how best to build the front of the frame to accept the curved panel(s)?

Should I use lots of small sections and obtuse mitre angles to form a "sort-of-curve"?
Or should I use wider tanalised boards to be fixed "flat" on the floor+top beam, and jigsaw a curve along the front edge of them, with vertical supports every 500mm or so?

I get the feeling I just answered my own question :)

Sponsored Links
Your top & bottom plates can be jig sawed out of 22mm ply - this way you will have a matching one piece footprint for the wall and the panel.

No need for tanalised timber, and you can double up any plate that you think requires it.

Consider how you will access the shower valve, & waste and supplies/taps? ie. dont have the taps backed against an inaccessible wall.

Will the floor tile run under or butt up to the bath panel?

Mosaic sheets fix easy on curved work.

I don't know how far from a straight line the front is (9" over 6'?). I think .5m is too far apart for your verticals, I think I would halve this .225m. What are you thinking of using as the boarding? The problem here is the access panel, this has to have the same curvature as the rest of the frame, so it needs its own frame (sub frame?). When you finally tile the front, how are you going to arrange for the tiling edges to fall with reference to the frame edge?
Having thought about this problem for all of 2 minutes :) , I reckon that your access panel must be backed with a top and bottom rib and two intermediate ones to maintain the curve over a short distance, else you will get a "flat", which also makes me think how are you going to fix it on? (chrome headed mirror screws?)
I admire your ambition! I have to admit its something I would think about doing.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Thanks kindly for the responses, it also occurred to me last night that I could use a sheet for this so thanks for re-affirming that for me, Ree.

I'll hopefully have enough room to run pipework along the front of the bath, i'm looking at possibly deck-mounting the taps just around where the access panel will be, at the foot of the bath (which will also be at the waste end to keep it all nicely accessible).

Re the floor tiling, it's lino over concrete (ground floor ensuite) at the moment, will be self-levelling and tiling but Mrs wants bath in as a priority first and then do the floor later - not my ideal, would prefer the panel to come down to the floor rather than the floor meet the panel; aware that this affects how I implement the access hatch - I will prolly double the bottom panel plate to accomodate tile depth and backer fixing points.

Frank, the bath won't be too far from the edge, possibly 4-5", but must confess I've yet to make a note of all measurements due to other projects, but will gather some tonight.

Doesn't help that we have yet to choose a mosaic finish and so this may effect the height measurements, I'm also not entirely sure how I'm going to edge it along the rim of the frame, unless I leave a 5-10mm gap along the top edge and somehow apply a "rounded" grout finish to it.

I like the idea of a rib support (as I wouldn't want it cracking or breaking out of shape if it's ever moved), and I'm just debating about somehow incorporating a strong magnetic door-catch type of arrangement at the top and bottom of the access frame rather than using chrome screws (magnets could attach to the ribs perhaps)... assuming I can get the tile measurements to a decent tolerance to the edge of the panel I could then just silicone seal the edges to match the grout (Mapei silicone tends to match their grout colours very well - it'll just be plain white grout for the mosaics anyways).

Thinking about it, I may be able to get away with a straight section where the access will be and only have a curve toward the "wide end" of the bath at the head end of the bath.

Much appreciate your input chaps, I'll try and knock up a diagram of what I'm planning, it won't be pretty but you'll get the idea.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back