I need to make and tile a curved bath front panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have ordered a bath with a curved front but haven't ordered the plastic panel as the reviews were bad. I intend to make my own out of some form of flexible timber and then cover with Mosaic tiles (300mmx300mm sheets with 12x12 tiles per sheet, glass and stainless random mix)
I need to curve inward at one end by 250mm over a 1700mm length with a floor to bath depth of around 540mm.
I need to make it in two sections split vertically say 70:30 to allow for it to be removable for access to the waste & tap connectors for future maintenance.

Questions:
1. What is the best material to make the backing panel from? (flexi mdf seems to be a no-no)
2. How should I prep the panel for tiling?
3. What is the best adhesive to use for this application?

All advice is greatly appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Just thought I'd let you know how this is coming on. The marmox is excellent to work with. I followed the manufacturers notes but instead of using fibreglass mat I used self-adhesive fibreglass scrim tape from Wickes. Once the MAPI adhesive had been pushed through the scrim into the grooves and set hard the panel was removed and retained its shape nicely. Next job is to work out where the access panel screws will go in relation to the mosaic so that I can position the stainless tiles as I have chrome screw caps to make them blend in.
And the wife is happy with the way it looks, which is half the battle :) View media item 59908 View media item 59909 View media item 59910
the picture of the radiator wall is just to give you an idea of the mosaics I am using.

Sponsored Links
Yes does look good and also good to see someone who actually considers the need for access after it's all finished, rather than just tiling and then wondering why they can't service a leak under the bath!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back