How to install a bath ...

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(do we need a bathroom section here?)

OK, so planning for the bath in the new bathroom (which I keep posting about!). Although I am still trying to decide how to board the room for tiling, need to plan the bath at the same time.

So, do all baths need a wooden frame, or are some OK without one?
Just been looking at this: https://ukbathroomguru.com/correctly-installing-a-bath/

If a frame, what height should it be fitted? Maybe baths come with instructions? But I'd need to build frame before buying the bath as I have nowhere to store it ...
rather than a frame, can you just put one big bit of timber on the wall, secured in several points? e.g a bit of 38 X 89mm studwork along the wall?

If you get a good solid bath, can you just use one of these on the room side edge:
https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/easy-fit-1500-1800mm-extendable-front-bath-frame
or is that only needed if you want to board and tile the edge of the bath? I see that some baths come with brackets for the rear wall - is this standard on all baths?

This is where the bath will be going:

IMG_20211015_141755644.jpg

Sponsored Links
Don’t need a full frame normally, as long as it’s up against the wall and the feet are screwed to the floor

Many baths have been fitted for many years without the need for a frame, it’s just a matter of preference, and theirs appear to be for a tiled bath panel.

Sponsored Links
I find acrylic ones flex a lot, especially if you or a member of your family is 'big' and the bath is not supported properly.

And if you are putting sealant around the bath edge between the wall 3/4 fill the bath with water before applying sealant and wait until sealant has fully set, (usually 24 hours minimum), before releasing water. If you don't do this the sealant will break away from the wall or bath the first time you use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back