bathroom tiles to go behind bath not on top, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am helping my friend put in a new bathroom and he has bought a bath and taps and shower over bath from a bathroom shop that has the whole lot on show but the taps are to be fitted on the side of the bath instead of at the end and their chrome base plates take up the width of the bath rim so that there is not enogh room to have the tiles come down on top of the bath.

We went to the shop to ask about this and all they could say was that their fitters have been fitting this suite like this and it works, which is not much help really.

Their method is to tile first and then push the bath in up to the tiles. My worry is that it will leak like this.

I thought the best way may be to put a decent silicon on the side of the bath before we push it in to create a seal and then when the bath is final siliconed it will have like a double layer, is this any good or is there a better way?

The bath instructions do advise to put a batten on the wall, don't know if this can help with anything on the sealing side. I am worried that this batten will get in the way of the taps on the side of the bath in any case.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
We went to the shop to ask about this and all they could say was that their fitters have been fitting this suite like this and it works, which is not much help really.

Their method is to tile first and then push the bath in up to the tiles. My worry is that it will leak like this.

I bet the sales staff are spinning you a yarn. I bet the fitters, on the rare occasion the taps are centre mounted, use a different set that doesn't sit as deep - negating the tile fouling problem. They won't be faffing around pushing a bath upto a just tiled wall.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back