Advise - Extending BT cable outside to run downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment the BT connection in the house comes in via the rear bedroom.
A white interior cable then snakes it's way around the bedroom skirting board, down the stairs skirting board to a box in the hall way.

I would rather extend the cable to run down the outside of the house and come in via a hole in the kitchen window, to set up box, telephone, wireless internet etc in there.

Is this easy?
Can I get parts easy?
When not in use (i.e. no call, does it carry a charge to shock me?)

All advise welcome.
Not sure what the cabling is, but I doubt it has been touched in years.

Sponsored Links
Where is the master socket in your description? Really speaking, you should not mess with the BT side of things however after the master socket you can do the work yourself. You should be able to isolate your wiring from the master socket without much problem.

It is easy to do but you’re not supposed to interfere with BT’s incoming supply line or the connection from there to the master socket. You are permitted to extend from the master socket to additional sockets as you want & cable & boxes are readily available but there is a limit to the number of phones you can have connected to the system at any one time. I think 3 is recommended max. but I have 3 + a fax running without any problems. There is a voltage on the line but it’s very low & won’t give you a shock.

At the moment the BT connection in the house comes in via the rear bedroom.
A white interior cable then snakes it's way around the bedroom skirting board, .

What sort of junction box is there in the rear bedroom ?. A picture would be good to see. Waht you can legally do about re-routing the cabling is termined by that junction box.

Sponsored Links
can anyone recommend a photo hosting service to link to from here.

I can't remember my flickr one, very annoying as I don't use yahoo...

When not in use (i.e. no call, does it carry a charge to shock me?

There's 50 volts on an idle phone line. You might detect this as a tingling sensation. The ringing signal, ie when somebody calls you, is bigger. I think it's 100 volts (but don't quote me) and that's enough to make most of us jump. It could be dangerous if you were up a ladder and not expecting it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Actually you have to be a bit careful with DC. Your body doesn't conduct current like wires do. All current flow is by electrolysis and that means chemical changes. Prolonged contact with a DC supply too low to notice can cause skin damage. Hopefully you won't be 'hanging on the line' long enough for this to happen. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I think 3 is recommended max. but I have 3 + a fax running without any problems.

The REN rating of a line is generally 4 . All phones faxes etc have a REN rating , the number of phones etc etc on one line shouldnt exceed 4 as they may not ring , they generally do though :)

PSTN and Broadband are 50 volts DC

ISDN is 100 volts and will give a little tickle.

As an ex BT engineer there is very little risk to your health with working with a live PSTN line .

As an ex BT engineer there is very little risk to your health with working with a live PSTN line .

The kick from incoming ringing voltage can be a bit of a punch. Especially when balancing on a dodgy ladder and holding an earth rain water pipe.

The kick from incoming ringing voltage can be a bit of a punch. Especially when balancing on a dodgy ladder and holding an earth rain water pipe.

In all honesty I never got a tickle from a PSTN line in anyway in 3 years even when using the non BT approved spit on your finger to to see if it fizzes method of seeing if a line had voltage on it or not :D Much quicker than using a multimeter!!!!!!!!

co55ie??????? Isdn carries 90v ,pstn between 50v ,dacs 120v...is this why you are ex :D :D :D :D :D

johnboy, you are correct in quoting all the expected voltages, but is only the ac ringing current that you will notice if you touch both legs, or one to earth. That will make you jump! As said ,save getting your meter out up the top of a pole, wet your finger and short!
:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back