Advise on idea for connecting oven/hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First some background...

I am in the middle of modernising my kitchen, floor to ceiling. So far everything has been a simple case of replacing old for new, but with the oven and hob I wanted some advice before continuing.

The problem...
My old free standing cooker was wired directly to the cooker switch. The switch I have recessed into the wall and put a new faceplate on. However the new oven should be connected to a plug (manufacturers instruction) and the hob is gas with ignition.

From what I've read it's wise not to have the hob and oven share a connection and somewhere along the line needs to be a fuse and a switch to isolate.

The plan...
I was thinking of using the spur from the cooker switch to supply a double socket recessed into the wall behind the oven, then connecting the hob and oven with their own plugs. This would give me a socket that can be isloated, and fuses. The problems with this idea is that the fuses would be a bugger to replace should they blow and I'm not sure of what would be considered safe clearance for a socket behind an oven.

The other idea is to carve a channel down from the cooker switch and run the spur directly down to behind a kitchen unit, then carve out a hole in the back of the unit to make it accessible. While this would give access and negate clearance issues, it's much more work.

I also wondered about putting in a fuse switch next to the cooker switch with the correct size and oversize the ones in the plugs so the switch goes first.

Lastly would this need to be reported etc...

Any advice appreciated.

Info from the plates...

Gas Hob:
Candy PL 40 AX
∑ 7,1kw
(*edit* that gobbledegook should have been the Greek symbol for Sigma)

Electric Oven:
Candy FL 134 X UK
Type=MNO3
2,300 W

[/url]

Sponsored Links
No one else has taken this up so I'll give my ideas.

The GAS hob, states 7.1Kw, I would presume this is the GAS heat output NOT the electrical consumption???
If that is the case then all the electrical supply would be for is the ignition circuit (negligible consumption)

The Oven is rated at 2.3Kw so would run off a 13A plug or FCU.

Your original idea of a twin socket fed from the cooker control unit will be OK for this. (Alternatively 2 FCUs) with the following fuses fitted.
Fuse the oven at 13A and the hob (ignition) at 3A.

What size MCB is backing up the cooker supply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back