Advise on redecorating bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently been let down by 2 joiners who were supposed to be redecorating my bathroom for me, so I've decided to buy all the materials needed and do most of the work myself. Obviously I'll get a professional where needed. I'm pretty good at DIY and also want to keep costs down cause money's pretty tight just now. Listed below are all the things that need done. What I'm looking for is someone to tell me what materials I need and what things will definitely need to be done by a professional.

Hole in my floor from water damage needs fixed (not sure if it can be patched or if the whole floor needs replaced)
Tiles on the rest of the floor need lifted
Ceilling possibly needs replaced (not sure of this because I've currently got wood panelling all over it and the guy upstairs had a leak which was dripping through)
All wall tiles to be removed (floor to ceilling)
Walls will probably need new plasterboard and plastering
Re-tile just the bath/shower area
Fit new skirting boards
Lay new floor tiles
Small shelf area at sink to be tiled with a couple of rows of small tiles
New taps to be fitted on bath and sink
New shower pole to be fitted
New shower screen to be fitted
New bath panel to be fitted

I hope all that makes sense. I was hoping to remove all the tiles myself but I'm not sure of the best way to start as my whole bathroom is tiled, any tips?

Sponsored Links
Where does the joinery fit into it?

He was the main guy on the job, replacing floor, ceilling and walls then he had a plumber and tiler coming to do the other bits.

I've recently been let down by 2 joiners who were supposed to be redecorating my bathroom for me, so I've decided to buy all the materials needed and do most of the work myself. Obviously I'll get a professional where needed. I'm pretty good at DIY and also want to keep costs down cause money's pretty tight just now. Listed below are all the things that need done. What I'm looking for is someone to tell me what materials I need and what things will definitely need to be done by a professional.

1.Hole in my floor from water damage needs fixed (not sure if it can be patched or if the whole floor needs replaced)
2.Tiles on the rest of the floor need lifted
3.Ceiling possibly needs replaced (not sure of this because I've currently got wood panelling all over it and the guy upstairs had a leak which was dripping through)
4.All wall tiles to be removed (floor to ceilling)
5.Re-tile just the bath/shower area
6.Fit new skirting boards
7.Lay new floor tiles
8.Small shelf area at sink to be tiled with a couple of rows of small tiles
9.New taps to be fitted on bath and sink
10.New shower pole to be fitted
11.New shower screen to be fitted
12.New bath panel to be fitted

I hope all that makes sense. I was hoping to remove all the tiles myself but I'm not sure of the best way to start as my whole bathroom is tiled, any tips?

1. & 2. You dont say what the underflooring is. Once you remove the tiles it will be shagged anyway and need replacing. If it is plywood it will have been screwed down. If the tiles are ceramic you will never find the screw heads so you will need a crowbar and saw to remove the ply. Took me 3 hours to remove my sub floor in my tiny bathroom!!!

3. Ceiling - wood panel or tongue and groove- often used to hide bad ceilings. will come down easily if the latter, just use a crow bar and hammer. Watch out for nails landing on you.

4. Wall tiles hammer and bolster or a minicrow bar like this one

http://www.axminster.co.uk/ice-bear-japanese-restorers-cats-paw-prod19817/

not cheap but perfect for tiles on plaster walls.

Are you sure that the walls are plaster board? If they are then sometimes you can punch through and pull the plasterboard off in sections. v messy and you must wear glasses, ceramic tile splinters are evil.

If you are really unlucky and the tiles are 50 years or older they might have been applied on cement. You will need a kango (pneumatic hammer/drill) to remove them.

5. re-tiling- get a pro especially around the shower. if the walls were plasterboard then the shower area needs a cement type board- NOT plasterboard

7. Lay new subfloor first and then tile

6. A decent timber merchant can pre cut these for you

8. DiY

9. Fitting bath taps can be a pig. You need special tools to tighten them with sufficient torque

10/11 why do you need both- both are easy to fit.

12- Normally easy to fit.

Sorry about being so vague but we haven't got alot to go on. Nor do we know how capable you are.

You will need to consider that the toilet, rad, shower and sink will need to come off to be able to take the tiles off and so that things can be replastered.

If you have a second bathroom i would recommend starting by removing all sanitaryware first, even the bath. that way you have space to work and will reduce the risk of damaging them. Also get a sparks to isolate the electricity.

You will need dozens of rubble sack to put the tiles in. they will be sharp and will rip the bags/ your legs so only half fill them- also makes them easier to carry. Buy these from a trade store.

The easiest tiles to remove will be the ones on plasterboard. If the walls are bonding and plaster and fairly sound them a steam stripper will make it easier to remove the old adhesive.

if the ceiling is tongue and grove the lengths will need cutting down, unless you have a skip or van to put them in. If you intend to take them down get help. the nails will be small but will hurt if the wood falls on you. Also expect lots of soot depending on the age. I have had dead birds fall on me in the past- fortunately skeletal. As you remove them flatten the nails over with a hammer. if you stand on a nail pointing up you will, at best, need a tetanus jab n the bum.

Do wear the boring; dust mask, goggles, gloves, head protection, boots etc.

Most importantly do not rush things, you will increase the risk of accidents.

You are working in one of the most difficult rooms, also one of the most expensive.

I only decided to do my bathroom because provisional costs were inexcess of £10000 for a 2mx2m room. I started in march but have done all of the work. the only thing i will sub out is the self levelling compound and the real lino floor. I have the advantage though of having all of the thousands pounds worth of tools that i needed.

Good luck and post back with each specific stage for detailed help.

My advice is only a very rough outline, i don't feel comfortable about giving it but I want you to understand the scope of the job. Please do not think that i am being intentionally condescending.

Sponsored Links
Wow, thank you very much for that reply. I do realise it's a big job and will get professionals in where necessary.

Here's a bit more info on my bathroom as it is. It was only fully tiled about 6 years ago and I'm pretty sure it's plasterboard walls. The floor is plywood I think. The room is pretty small, 2m x 2m and unfortunately the only bathroom I have. However, I can go stay with my partner while it's getting done. The ceilling is tongue and groove and was put up at the same time as the tiles. I know it was done because the bathroom upstairs was leaking but I don't know if the ceilling was replaced or the tongue and groove was just put on over the top. I will be able to remove the toilet myself cause I replaced it and did the job myself, however I'm not so sure about the sink. I definitely need a new shower rail because the one I have is plastic and very temporary and the reason I want to replace the shower screen is because it has gold trim and I want to change all my taps to silver (they are currently gold).

Once again, I thank you for your reply. I will let you know how things go and hoefully you may be able to give me some advise as I go along. :D

Btw you can tile over tiles and you might be able to dot and dab plasterboard over the tiles you want to get rid off.

It could more than half the scope of the job, you will lose about 20mm in extra wall thickness.

Epect to reboard the ceiling.

Regards

Hole in my floor from water damage needs fixed (not sure if it can be patched or if the whole floor needs replaced) Tiles on the rest of the floor need lifted
Lift the tiles & the floor completely, it will be shot. Replace floor with 18-25mm WBP ply (depending on joist size/pitch/span). Don’t use chipboard it’s not suitable as a tile base. The floor must be rigid & boarded out correctly.

Ceilling possibly needs replaced (not sure of this because I've currently got wood panelling all over it and the guy upstairs had a leak which was dripping through)
Remove the paneling & any plasterboard, re-board (use 12.5mm boards) & skim; make sure the guy upstairs has fixed his leak.

All wall tiles to be removed (floor to ceilling)
Could be hard work but should be done; tiling over tiles is possible but it’s really a total bodge & will make removing them even more of a pain in the future.

What are the walls currently? You may need nothing more than leveling if retiling but if you replace/fit new plasterboard use Moisture Resistant & don’t plaster where your going to tile, it’s not necessary or desirable; if plastering MR board, it must be primed first.

Re-tile just the bath/shower area
Don’t use plaster board in wet areas, use waterproof tile backer boards; if you use PB in wet areas it should be tanked or it won't last.

Fit new skirting boards
Your choice but skirting boards not usually fitted where both walls & floor is tiled.

Lay new floor tiles
It’s very important you get the new floor right & use quality trade flexible adhesive & grout; don’t use cheapo DIY crap.

Small shelf area at sink to be tiled with a couple of rows of small tiles
If forming the shelf, use MR PB or backer board if it’s going to get wet, don’t use plywood.

From your questions, I think you’re seriously going to struggle with the scope of the jobs above & get them right. Start off by reading the archive threads in building plumbing, tiling & plastering. You need to do a serious amount of research & be on a steep learning curve & then you’re still going to struggle.

New taps to be fitted on bath and sink
New shower pole to be fitted
New shower screen to be fitted
New bath panel to be fitted
Standard bathroom fitting which most competent DIYers should be capable of, just follow the instructions & take your time.

Similarly, I don’t know why 2 x joiners would be involved in refurbishing a bathroom, I would think the scope of the work frightened the life out of them & is why they did a runner! You may be better off employing a bathroom fitter who will be able to do all the above (except maybe electrics which I buy in) but it’s a complete refurb &, as opps says, a decent job aint going to be cheap.

Thanks for all your advise. Got a few more questions to ask.

So, should I get quotes from bathroom fitters instead even though I'm actually keeping my bathroom suite?

What sort of cost do you think I'll be looking at? I can pull together roughly £1000, is that too little? I would obviously prefer professionals to do the whole lot! Would it be cheaper for me to buy all the material then just pay for the labour?

I do really appreciate everyone's help. I've done lots of DIY (even tiling) but I've never done anything as big as a bathroom refurbish.

You can reduce cost by doing things like removing the ceiling, sanitary ware, floor & all the tiles so it’s a clear room, this will allow trades to concentrate on their particular skills.
A competent trade tiller should easily be able to tackle fitting a new WBP floor, undertake the necessary remedial work on the walls, tiling & replacing the sanitary ware. You’re going to need a plasterer to board out & skim the ceiling; best time to get this done is after removing the sanitary ware & wall tiles but before removing the old floor.

Cost is directly proportional to time taken; the ceiling is only ½ day so you should be able to get it in & plastered for £130-£150 including materials. For tiling, budget between £30-£40/sqm but some will go cheaper. Fitting the new ply floor is going to take around ½ day (£100) providing there are no problems & making good the walls could be anything from a couple of hours to 2 days work (£350-£400) depending on what’s required; this excludes the cost of flooring, tiles & fixing materials. It depends on location, local competition & how desperate local trades are; best thing is to get several quotes. You may find someone who can do the lot making it more economical but go too cheap & you’ll suffer the consequences so either go on personal recommendation or look at previous work. True trades care about the quality of their work but there are an awful lot of cowboys around in the current economic climate.

Buying your own materials probably won’t save much if anything & there is a big risk you could buy either inferior or incorrect products; correct use of quality materials is an important factor in bathrooms.

I took your advice and I've now got a proper bathroom fitter coming on Friday to give me a quote. I'm excited now :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back