AEG72630-W Grumbling pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a problem with this washer, PNC No.91400209601. Works well but grumbling noise from pump vicinity, but only when in circulation mode. Possibly foreign body, e.g. paper clip in pump. Can feel something upwards in port on lower right front, but can't remove it. A manual showing sequence to expose pump impeller would be most helpful as little room where the machine is standing so I can't just tip it over to see the way to remove the case or whether I have to access from below. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it only "grumbles" on recirculation then there's either junk rattling around in the recirculation pump, the impellor has loosened, or the pump is shot. There are two pumps mounted in the front RH side. You'll be struggling to dismantle anything through the rear cover & there might not be enough room to work through the recess behind the kick-strip. You may have to remove the front panel to get good enough access. The recirculation pump looks like this http://www.buyspares.co.uk/search.pl?query=1246219404 Both drain pump & recirculation pump are mounted on the same manifold.

If it only "grumbles" on recirculation then there's either junk rattling around in the recirculation pump, the impellor has loosened, or the pump is shot. There are two pumps mounted in the front RH side. You'll be struggling to dismantle anything through the rear cover & there might not be enough room to work through the recess behind the kick-strip. You may have to remove the front panel to get good enough access. The recirculation pump looks like this http://www.buyspares.co.uk/search.pl?query=1246219404 Both drain pump & recirculation pump are mounted on the same manifold.
Thank you. Do I remove the kick strip by undoing the three screws on the right side around the pump? (I'm assuming none of these will release the pump, but only release the kick strip!) And once the right hand screws have been removed will the left side of the kick-strip release also (I can't see any screws for the left side!)

Remove the 3 screws, the kick strip has lugs & needs to be moved sideways to release them. I doubt if you will be able to remove the circ. pump without taking off the front panel though. It isn't a huge job. Lid off, soap tray out, remove the control panel screws & release it, 2 screws for the door switch, spring clip on the door bellow, 4 screws holding the front panel, & thats about it. Plenty of good videos on youtube. Search for "washing machine/change door bellow" ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the instruction. All was straightforward apart from releasing the display panel on the right. I think I failed to notice a plastic clip that I should have released from behind so it broke off.javascript:emoticon(':oops:') I think when I reassemble the lower right corner of the display panel will be slightly loose but easily cured with tape or a dab of mastic.javascript:emoticon(';)')

Found a hair pin in the manifold between the pumps. That was the thing I could feel but not remove. There's significant sludge in the flexible hoses so I will take them off and clean them. I'd better take the pumps off and clean them too.

If they are OK then it's just a matter of reassembly, fingers crossed! But any advice on further cleaning would be most welcome. For example is there a filter mesh screen anywhere? I can't see one. Generally we run at 90 degrees once a month, using a non-biological detergent, but we are in a hard water area.

A dab of araldite, tec7, or anything similar will do the trick.
If the pumps are ok (no slack impellor/bearing etc) then just reassemble them again using a drop of light oil/washing up liquid on the o-rings. You could always bench test them to make sure they run evenly before refitting. No mesh screen in the pump manifold, but always a good idea to give the hoses a good clean. Same with a regular 90c maintenance wash with non-biological or white vinegar. Good luck :D

All working now thank you very much for your patient responses. There is one small problem and that is the bellows clamp. It is a ring of hard plastic joined by a pair of alligator jaws. When I removed it it was on about the sixth tooth (6 teeth were engaged). Now it's all I can do to engage one tooth. I used silicone spray on bellows and front panel and it all went together smoothly and easily. There was no corrosion. The only tool I can think of to engage the teeth and tighten the jaws is a pair of long needle-nosed pliers. But it has a job to reach both ends. Do you have any better ideas please? It doesn't leak so maybe it is not a problem but it is a bit strange.

By the way, the grumbling noise was caused by a cardboard nail file, which was lodged in the bellows below the drum. The reason it made a noise on recirculation but not on pump-out was because the recirculation speed was higher as the ducts were clean, but the exhaust pipe was almost blocked, so flow was slower during pump-out, so no vibration. Thank you again. :D

Smear the clamp with a few drops of washing up liquid so it slides in the bellow recess then give it a nip with a water pump wrench or similar. It doesn't have to be that tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back