Candy CDI45 (45) dishwasher fault E1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I posted the below over at UK Whitegoods but I'm getting no love so I thought I'd post it here as well. I'm desperate to get this thing fixed as I've spent about 7 hours looking at the thing now.

I have a Candy CDI45 dishwasher. A few days ago it stopped mid cycle with fault code E1.

The machine wouldn't pump out water but would drain if I held the end of the hose by the floor, so I checked the drain pump impeller and found a piece of glass and a bit of a chipped cup, removed these and put the machine back together and put a test wash on with the door open and the machine both drained water and water came out of the spray arms. I then put on an actual wash.

My partner took the dishes out in the morning assuming all had gone well. She doesn't remember seeing an error code. The following wash the machine stopped with error E4 which I looked up to find the anti-flood switch had been tripped.

Sure enough there was a pool of water at the bottom, I cleared it out and fired up the machine on a wash cycle with the side panel off so I could see where the leak was coming from, I found it from the circulator pump inlet hose which had a slight tear near the jubilee clip which must have been from the movement of me inspecting the drain impeller. With the position of the pipe, the water could potentially have leaked over the exposed copper wires of the circulator pump motor, so I put a fan heater on it for about 20 minutes.

I fixed the leak and fired up the machine again, but again got a fault E1. The machine seems to fill and then drain a few times before giving out the error code, it never dishes out water from the spray arms. I assumed the circulator pump motor must have been knackered from getting wet but I can't find my multimeter to test if it's getting power and we can't fork out for a new motor or machine at the minute anyway so I thought I'd ask you helpful people in the meantime if you can think of anything else it might be?

Any suggestions whatsoever greatly appreciated.

Bit of further investigation:

Blew into pressure switch pipe to test, seemed to require a fair bit of pressure to activate. Once it activated the water stopped filling, but drained again about 30 seconds later (I kinked the pipe to keep the switch activated).

Removed drain outlet from U-bend, drain pump is draining at a good rate initially, empties a good few litres but then continues to run for a while though nothing is coming out and the sound changes from a constant drone to a rhythmic sound like a washing machine pump. There is a gurgling noise from machine.

Could anyone tell me if water is actually diverted to the recirculating pump instead of the drain pump or is just a matter of the water following the path of least resistance when either pump is activated?

I can't seem to see a solenoid there or anything and I'm wondering whether a blockage could cause the recirculating pump to send water down the drain hose spinning the drain impeller at the same time and giving the impression it's the drain pump working?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back