Aerial cables help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently purchased my own flat for the first time so am bumbling through teaching myself how to DIY!

I want to connect my new TV to an aerial (just a regular aerial to get Freeview, no satellite etc.) but don't really know where to start with these cables that are coming through the lounge wall at the TV point.

Would appreciate some advice!

IMG_20190225_181853.jpg
IMG_20190225_182003.jpg

Sponsored Links
As a guess, the 2 with plugs on were for a satellite receiver and the one with no plug was the terrestrial aerial - in which case fit one of these: https://www.toolstation.com/tv-iec-coaxial-plug/p37615 on the end.

However you really need to find out where those wires go. Is this in a block of flats with a shared TV system, or just those cables through the wall to an aerial/dish outside?

Congratulations on your new home, and welcome to the forum :)

If this was a house/bungalow then I'd lay odds on that the two brown cables are connected to a satellite dish, and the black cable without a plug is probably an aerial feed. I would have then suggested going outside to check if you can see a satellite dish and the brown wires connecting to it, and also see if there's an aerial on the roof.

You say your new place is a flat. This makes things less easy to work out by sight because all the TV & satellite feeds are often centralised in a way that means one dish and aerial can feed dozens of dwellings. However, my first instinct would be to put an aerial plug on the black wire, connect it to your TV and see what you get. You can't hurt anything doing this. If it is something more complex, then we can deal with that later.

Your black wire is probably going to be either a feed from a communal aerial somewhere on the property, or (less likely but not unheard of), it could be a link cable from the lounge to some other room (usually a bedroom) so that the Sky box can be watched elsewhere.

Buy an aerial plug, watch a couple of Youtube vids on how to fit an aerial plug, have a go, then tune the TV. Let us know the outcome.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then do the decent thing and click the THANKS button. It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back