aerial installation...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys and girls..

So i recently bought a new High Gain Aerial to replace the old one in my loft as i thought the one that was uo there wasnt really that good. The one i bought specifically was this one...52 Element High Gain Aerial

In my loft i have a four way amplified splitter but the problem is i am still having to use an amplifier on each tv in the house to access freeview/digital channels, due to poor reception.

I think i now need to move the aerial outside as i said its currently in the loft. Being in the loft will this make a big difference? I have the aerial aswell as the fixing kit that came with it. In the fixing kit there is a small piece of piping but looking at other houses around i thing a longer length will be required.

Including the piping and labour costs how much do you think im looking at for someone to come in with a long ladder and a drill to do the install? :D

Sponsored Links
You will loose about 6-10dB gain through having the aerial mounted in the loft.

I recently moved my Antiference TC18 from the loft to a 6ft mast outside with a 4 way masthead amplifier using CT100 cable throughout. The signal improvement was huge. (27 miles from Rowridge).

Sorry, no idea on cost.

DIYnot?

I recently moved my Antiference TC18 from the loft to a 6ft mast outside with a 4 way masthead amplifier using CT100 cable throughout. The signal improvement was huge. (27 miles from Rowridge).

Sorry, no idea on cost.

DIYnot?

Your right, i really should just hire some ladders, get a decent masonry bit and do it myself. Didnt realise youd lose that mch just through having it in the loft. Im guessing the aerial i got was ok?

It really depends on many factors - mainly how far you are from the transmitter, obstructions (buildings, hills etc).

The wolfbane website gives good guidance. (Unfortunately that's all it can give).

It's a bit suck it and see for the DIYer.

Like it's been said before, if you do set about it yourself, avoid the Rod Hull approach.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links

Sorry, no idea on cost.

DIYnot?

Your right, i really should just hire some ladders, get a decent masonry bit and do it myself. Didnt realise youd lose that mch just through having it in the loft. Im guessing the aerial i got was ok?

are you sure that the aerial is pointing in the right direction ie towards sutton coldfield as with an aerial like that and an amplified splitter you should get a decent piccy. try looking on the wolfbane website and put in your postcode to see what they recommend

Sorry, no idea on cost.

DIYnot?

are you sure that the aerial is pointing in the right direction ie towards sutton coldfield as with an aerial like that and an amplified splitter you should get a decent piccy. try looking on the wolfbane website and put in your postcode to see what they recommend
wolfbane site here http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

When looking to replace an aerial I have found the following websites to be useful. The first will tell you which group and plane your transmitter is in and the second (after much trawling) will tell you which aerial ahould suit you the best.

For example my transmitter is a EW/H which means that I need an E group or wideband aerial mounted horizontally, and the second site tells me that I need a YAGI 18E or a XB10WB because I am in a poor signal area.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/transmitters.html
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/aerials.html

Well, that's a case of speaking too soon!

Got home this evening, switched on tv "no or bad signal" tried tv in bedroom (same feed) "no signal". Great.

Plugged in aerial to analogue i/p to tv - snowy picture.

Checked masthead PSU voltage - all good.

Went into loft to check amp - full of rusty water! Seems the connection box on my TC18 isn't up to the recent weather conditions!

I'm gutted, the head end is ruined!

New aerial & masthead ordered - 46 sheets.

Bu**er.

Having looked at all the websites you guys posted ive found that this installing aerials seems to be abit of an art. :D 3

A1 aerials are on the way out today to give me a quote.

Theyve been out, fitted it and all is dandy. Price inc VAT £70. The aerial was a bargain, he said for the same aerial he would be looking at charging aroung 149 inc VAT :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back