Aerialball causing knocking noise to rear of Fiesta 60-70mph.

L

L.G

We took our Fiesta into car dealer under warranty because of rapping noise seeming to come from under car behind passenger seat. It happened between 60 and 70 mph or so.
Embarrassingly, the mechanic rang to say that it was the Mini Mouse aerial ball I had put on so we could find the Fiesta in a Lakeside car park.
Can someone please explain exactly why it made the noise and why it seemed to come from the back of the car?
Mini is now in the glove box and no more knocking noise.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sad, having to put a silly ball onto the antenna to distinguish one car from the multitude of identical others :whistle:

Sad, having to put a silly ball onto the antenna to distinguish one car from the multitude of identical others :whistle:

Yes, it's a sad indictment of car design these days where manufacturers put similar requirements into similar computers with similar design programs. Then millions of similar Euroboxes/Asian cars roll off the production line.

Yes, it's a sad indictment of car design these days where manufacturers put similar requirements into similar computers with similar design programs. Then millions of similar Euroboxes/Asian cars roll off the production line.

So very true. We run two modern classics '98 & '87, don't need balls on antennas to spot either of them in a crowded carpark :D

So very true. We run two modern classics '98 & '87, don't need balls on antennas to spot either of them in a crowded carpark :D

Same here. Got a 1986 Carlton (last of the old shape) - no trouble spotting it in the crowd. Only thing is, it was a reasonably big car when current, but now all the modern cars around it seemed to have ballooned. Good example is an old Mini up to today's BMW version.

Same here. Got a 1986 Carlton (last of the old shape) - no trouble spotting it in the crowd. Only thing is, it was a reasonably big car when current, but now all the modern cars around it seemed to have ballooned. Good example is an old Mini up to today's BMW version.

Good for you, we had a Carlton auto a few years back & it was a decent enough all round car, but with the typical structural corrosion over the rear axle & some cosmetic. Personally I never thought the 2ltr. engine was equal to a Ford, given the same high mileage. I always fancied a Senator, but we moved onto a range Rover that had more miles on it than the Star-ship Enterprise !
I recall the worse thing about the Carlton was the way it used to steam up the windscreen at the slightest hint of damp/wet weather. At the time I thought it might be a leaking heater matrix, but the car never seemed to loose coolant.
Our current 'moderns' are a '87 Range Rover & '98 E39 saloon, both very clean & tidy for their age ... not interested in new cars, even though owning one might be cheaper in the long run.

You're right about the so-called Mini, think BM should have changed the name before the original design went onto steroids :unsure:

Good for you, we had a Carlton auto a few years back & it was a decent enough all round car, but with the typical structural corrosion over the rear axle & some cosmetic. Personally I never thought the 2ltr. engine was equal to a Ford, given the same high mileage. I always fancied a Senator, but we moved onto a range Rover that had more miles on it than the Star-ship Enterprise !
I recall the worse thing about the Carlton was the way it used to steam up the windscreen at the slightest hint of damp/wet weather. At the time I thought it might be a leaking heater matrix, but the car never seemed to loose coolant.
Our current 'moderns' are a '87 Range Rover & '98 E39 saloon, both very clean & tidy for their age ... not interested in new cars, even though owning one might be cheaper in the long run.

Agree, Vauxhall of that era do rot. Luckily mine's been garaged all it's life, so largely untouched. Still didn't stop the strut turrets needing a plate on either side though. It's the 2.2 engine with injection. Most were 2 litre with carb. Was also a diesel. Still fancy a Senator, eraly model or later shape. Like the Range Rover, earlier models seem to be thinning out a lot. I imagine they take a bit of upkeep.

Sponsored Links
Back