Afsinst.exe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My PC crashed twice today. When I ran CHKDSK and restarted the error report generated advised me to upadte my CD recording software. I did this through HP (Ihave a Pavillion). I have just completed this and the PC seems to be running vwery smoothly. Has any one else encountered this? When I restarted the PC originally (before CHKDSK ran) there was a really loud mechanical whirring noise from the box. Don't know if the two arec onnected.

Sponsored Links
Possible that the hard drive is at the end of it's life. Did you run a full scan disk and did it find any bad sectors?

I would be upset if the hard drive was kaput, PC is only 9 months old. Seems to be working very well now - no noise at all. Fingers crossed for the momemt. Thanks, John

Drives can fail at any time, but fortunately, most come with long warranties (3+ years, except for Fujitsu, which suck). Backup any really important stuff, just in case.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget those IBM and Hitachi Death Stars..they fail more often than Government promises...

Very few drives even have more than 12months warranty now.
It scares me that capacities have gone up and up (400GB are on sale now) encouraging us to store vast amounts of eggs in one basket,while prices have come down and down suggesting cheap build quality.
Alterntives
Backing up 400gb onto removable media is an excrutiating process.
Raid setups?- good scsi are more costly than losing the data anyway and as regards ATA/SATA raid there are some scare stories about cheap controllers only pretending to be mirroring the drive.An i.t guy was apareently being very concientious and building an additional mirror ready to swap out in case of faiure.He found that only one drive in the array contained any data at all.

evdama said:
Very few drives even have more than 12months warranty now.

If you buy the drive on it's own, I would say the opposite is true, with the exception of Fujitsu (There probably are others). Most major manufacturer bare drives have a 3-5 year manufacturer warranty. Retailers will probably give you 12 months, but it's always worth checking the warranty status at the manufacturers website. Retail packs are generally sold with a 2 year warranty in Europe. However, original drives supplied with branded machines (OEMs) seem to only carry a 12 month warranty and generally this is provided by the PC supplier, not the drive manufacturer.

evdama said:
It scares me that capacities have gone up and up (400GB are on sale now) encouraging us to store vast amounts of eggs in one basket,while prices have come down and down suggesting cheap build quality.
Alterntives
Backing up 400gb onto removable media is an excrutiating process.
Raid setups?- good scsi are more costly than losing the data anyway and as regards ATA/SATA raid there are some scare stories about cheap controllers only pretending to be mirroring the drive.An i.t guy was apareently being very concientious and building an additional mirror ready to swap out in case of faiure.He found that only one drive in the array contained any data at all.

RAID is not really considered as a mainstream backup system, but is used to get a system back with the minimum of downtime. A separate backup of essential data should be taken to offline storage. You wouldn't necessarily want to backup all 400GB of a drive anyway. Most of it will probably be taken up with applications, which will exist on other media. You are right about the controllers though. If you are going for RAID, it's worth making the right investment.

Back