After a powerflush - one rad not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my central heating system power flushed 2 months ago. I have just switched on the central heating for the first time since and I have one radiator that will not heat up at all. The pipes don't even get hot. It has a thermostat valve on it - an "eco" one with a green button. Not sure if this makes any difference but it is the only rad that has this.
Should I (a) turn all the other rads to zero and see if this bad one will heat up? (b) bleed the rad ? I have no DIY plumbing knowledge whatsoever!! Any advice very gratefully received!!

Sponsored Links
You should have asked the engineer how to use this valve.

Look up the instructions and turn it to the full open position.

If it still does not heat up then try to remove the head and see if the pin is stuck.

Tony

I had hoped that the engineer would have tested the system after the power flush!

The Honeywell thermostatic valve seems to be no different to any of the others on the other radiators apart from the fact that when you turn it to about number 4 you then press a green button to allow it to turn it further to numbers 5 or 6.

I'll try looking at the pin.

Many thanks!

The pipes don't even get hot.

not the valves fault if the pipe below the valve isnt getting hot at any point, sounds like a blockage in the pipe (Not flushed correctly)

Sponsored Links
The pipes don't even get hot.

not the valves fault if the pipe below the valve isnt getting hot at any point, sounds like a blockage in the pipe (Not flushed correctly)

Nonsense

The pipe won't get hot if there's no circulation through it, if the valve is closed for example.

Close both valves , open up the connection to radiator ,open valves into basin to check if operational.

I just meant it's not always the valves.

Thanks for replying - I will check the pin (if I can get the thermostat valve head off!) and then shall I try bleeding the radiator - could it be air in the pipe?

The plumber who did the power flush is on holiday so I cant get it sorted for a couple of weeks, hence I am willing to have a try to resolve it myself!!

Very likely there is a air lock on the radiator,After checking the pin on the TRV is not stuck,I suggest you bleed the radiator properly take out a couple of cups of water .make sure the system is topped up as you do this and the radiator will start working

Highly unlikely to be a blockage ,the idea of one rad having a blockage sounds like nonsense

I normally crack the lock shields open and release water into a tray,I dont recommend this to Diyer

Good luck

Bleed a couple of cups but with one valve at a time turned off.

That will ensure flow will be coming from each pipe in turn.

But do test the pin first. See FAQ for further help on this.

Tony

I think plumbdmc maybe a newbie? Open valves to a basin? Take the top off the trv an give the pin a tap, see if u can push the pin up and down freely, then see if the balance valve at the other end is open fully, also check for air via bleed screw. If none of that works turn the other rads off an see if it works then, it maybe an airlock

First check that the pin moves, if you still have problems, open the value all the way on that radiator and turn the values off on all other radiators, then see if you get heat.

If so, then turn the other radiators back on – if you still get heat then you have cleared an air lock.

If you don’t get heat with the other radiators on, but do with them off, your system needs to be balanced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back