After laying roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Just want to make sure its done correctly?

After the roof has been laid, a course of bricks will be laid around the wall Will the same apply to internal blocks? or will it be ok to just fill in that area will insulation?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The roof is Pitched, I dont know the exact terminorolgy. It may very well be the soffit detail.

Basically i've been told a last course of bricks will go on after the roof has been framed.
That bit i understand as there will be aa gap otherwise. But what im unsure of is if the same applys for the inner blocks.

The soffit board is usually trapped down onto the last course of bricks, so need for any more masonry above the soffit line.

The last course of bricks or external masonry, finishes well down from the last course of blocks or internal masonry, depending upon how steep the roof is and how wide the cavity is.

The inner masonry should have a wall plate sitting on it so i don't see how you can require any more masonry upon either.

Sponsored Links
Thats strange. The builder has left both skins level. He says the last course will go on after joist have gone on.

The roof is for a extension.

That's even stranger. You would not leave the skins level for a pitched roof

The rafters wont fit on

...... :idea: ....Perhaps the builder is formulating some kind of detail whereby the wall plate sits on TOP of the joists mebbe????

He may have the plans upside down
It is doable and acceptable and i have done it, though it is neither first choice or a typical detail.

The joists still act as triangular restraints just the same though holding-down strapping means having to use twist straps on joists depending upon where the plate sits in relation to the wall position below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back