After recent downpour noticed my roof joist is wet - what's the likely problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rained bloody heavily tonight. Went to check the attic on a whim and found the end of one joist (on the end wall) is wet. See attached.

It's not been wet for long as I went in the attic not that look ago and it was dry. Poked it with a screwdriver and the wood is still solid, so hopefully not a major leak and glad I spotted it early!

I've not been out to check the roof as it was dark, doing it first thing tomorrow morning. What's the most likely cause and could it be easily remedied? Hopefully just a loose tile or something.

Note, the property has cavity walls and I can see the joist ends before touching the external wall. All other joists around it (that I can see) look dry, so hopefully just an easy fix. Will hopefully find out tomorrow, just looking for some potential advice on what people think it might be.

Attachments

• PXL_20230920_211548272.jpg
    PXL_20230920_211548272.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 125
Sponsored Links
It could be from rain getting under a loose or broken tile, the source may be higher up the roof though. Check further up the inside of the roof, I would be tempted to remove the membrane to identify the source, so I had as much information as possible when I was up there next time it rained. Also you're in a better position to assess any quotes from builders/roofers if you cant sort it yourself.

Blup

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't see higher into the roof space as it's a dormer conversion so the rest of the roof line is inaccessible.

Been out and had a quick look this morning, I think it might be the mortar bed (the verge I believe) that holds the end tiles down is failing. Will get the nerve to climb a ladder in a bit and check.

Dont be afraid to remove that panel, its hardly a high end level of decoration, and can be reinstated.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Is that purlin on a party wall or a gable wall?
Gable wall. Had a few roofers out who reckon the verve is gone and needs resetting which seems about right. Just waiting for official quotes to come in now

Can you post a pic from the outside.

Blup

Sure. Hard to see from the outside as the edge of the house is right on the boundary line.

The verge tile cement looks worn so hopefully it's just they need reducing down.

Attachments

• PXL_20230922_114112590.jpg
    PXL_20230922_114112590.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20230922_114134366.jpg
    PXL_20230922_114134366.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 61
Looks good from a distance so roofers should be able to advise in more detail.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back