Age discrimination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New legislation comes into force in October that bans discrimination of grounds of age.

Some possibly, less obvious consequences??

Service related holiday may not be allowed ?

Paid sick leave may not be linked to service ?

Redundancy payments may not be based on length of service ?

Any further ideas??

The true art of politics .... Look how wonderful this legislation will be, but do not search out the hidden payload ...
:cool:

Sponsored Links
empip

so your point is they the employer will class everyone as a 20 yo ?

empip said:
New legislation comes into force in October that bans discrimination of grounds of age.

Some possibly, less obvious consequences??

Service related holiday may not be allowed ?

Paid sick leave may not be linked to service ?

Redundancy payments may not be based on length of service ?

Any further ideas??

The true art of politics .... Look how wonderful this legislation will be, but do not search out the hidden payload ...
:cool:
Pip i think amount of service worked is seperate from age discrimination as you can get a younger person serving more years for a firm than an older person recently joined. So none of the above should in theory be affected.

Any person regardless of age, sex, or race should be considered equally in regard to employment. You cannot discriminate against a person for being black or gay - so why should you be able to discriminate if they are older?

How many on the 'Apprentice' are in their 40s, 50s or 60s?

joe

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
Any person regardless of age, sex, or race should be considered equally in regard to employment. You cannot discriminate against a person for being black or gay - so why should you be able to discriminate if they are older?

joe

Here, here Joe. I have also been discriminated against for being 'too experienced' :rolleyes: Surely, if I want to only work part -time then that's up to me?

I went for one job only to be told that I shouldn't be applying for a part - time position but for a senior position. When I said that I didn't want a senior position and would be happy working part - time, the guy looked at me as if I was on something!

I'm sure I have also been discriminated against for declaring my disability (another reason why I only want to work part-time, couldn't cope with full time hours and running the house etc). I had one employer who was ready to give me a job until I said that I was registered disabled and then he changed his tune entirely :cry:

Equal rights for all I say :D

Moz said:
empip
so your point is they the employer will class everyone as a 20 yo ?

ACAS .. say..
Q Do the regulations only cover older employees?
A No. The regulations cover workers of all ages - young and old.

The devil may well be in the detail and it's interpretation Moz ... The 'good' stuff is always banner headlined.
I have no doubt there will be a sprinkling of 'exemptions' and 'exceptions' attempting to rectify possible anomolies.
More dosh for the snouters as they probe and test for weaknesses...
;)

joe-90 said:

How many on the 'Apprentice' are in their 40s, 50s or 60s?

joe

sure you can discriminate against whoever you want to

just dont get caught i do it all the f*Cking time :LOL:

I can guess that a fair few will be falling foul of the regs, knowingly or not.

...... Harassment
Harassment includes behaviour that is ;

offensive, frightening or in any way distressing. It may be intentional bullying which is obvious or violent....
but it can also be unintentional, subtle and insidious.

It may involve nicknames, teasing, name calling or other behaviour which is not with malicious intent but which is upsetting.

It may be about the individual's age or it may be about the age of those with whom the individual associates.

It may not be targeted at an individual(s) but consist of a general culture which, for instance, appears to tolerate the telling of ageist jokes....

.....You may be held responsible for the actions of your employees as
well as the employees being individually responsible.

If harassment takes place in the workplace or at a time and place associated with the workplace, for example a work-related social gathering, you may be liable.

You may be ordered to pay compensation unless it can be shown that you took reasonable steps to prevent harassment.
Individuals who harass may also be ordered to pay compensation.....

Example: A young employee is continually told he is 'wet behind the
ears' and 'straight out of the pram' which he finds humiliating and
distressing. This is harassment.

;)

Sponsored Links
Back