Problems with KESTON CELSIUS 25

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone had any problems with this boiler?
Over the last 4 years it has been replaced (yeah I know - a new one), 4 new PCBs, tension lead....

Now it is leaking from the front and has caused the fuses in the house to blow.

I had a Keston service in September (useless - they refunded)

Details below

Dear Mr Watkins thank you for your Email of to days date. I understand that you sent two Emails previously to my inbox and were acknowledged indicating that I was out of the office. I also understand that you have contacted our service department and were advised that due to an unprecedented volume of work load we are experiencing we cannot attend to your boiler. I would confirm that this is the case and would suggest that you contact British Gas or a CORGI registered engineer who may have the capacity to assist you.
Yours sincerely
Steve Gentry – Technical Support.
Sent: 24 November 2008 09:14
To: Steve Gentry; Keston Boilers Ltd
Subject: RE: BOILER SERVICE
Importance: High
Steve
Any news on a time and day - we are now quite cold.
Thanks
Dear Steve
Many thanks for sorting out the refund - very much appreciated.
Our boiler is still causing problems - it cuts out intermintently (about 1 a week) with a flashing red light and today it gave up the ghost blowing the fuses in the house!
Pools of water form from the bottom right hand corner (front). I am wondering if this has got on to the electrics at all? The boiler makes thumping/crackling noises.
I am more than willing to pay a fee to get an engineer out - what's the earliest we could have one?
Thank you again
Dylan
Dear Mr Watkins thank you for your Email setting out the events as they happened. The engineer that repaired your boiler on the 29/09/08 reported that the high tension lead on the boiler was intermittently shorting out and therefore he replaced it. There was no mention in his report or in the conversation I had with him, regarding “a pipe” to which you refer as being in the wrong direction?

We as a company offer to service our customers boilers during the summer months at reduced price, this offer is subject to pre payment by the customer and we can specify when we can carry out the task in order that we can fully utilise our work forces time. Therefore we can not always service customers boilers straight away, rectification of our workmanship is another matter and our service department usually responds as soon as is possible.
When you called us on the 24/09/08, the earliest appointment where we could guarantee the engineers arrival time was the first call of the day on the 29/09/08. Any other appointment time cannot be guaranteed due to operational reasons such as traffic. This being the case then we believe that our response was reasonable taking into account all the factors such as a weekend betwixt the dates involved when we are closed and the need for a guaranteed appointment time. Clearly you are not content with the level of service that we provided and as such I will arrange for the pre paid service charge to be refunded.
Yours sincerely
Steve Gentry.
Sent: 30 September 2008 15:04
To: Steve Gentry

Thanks Steve.

01/9 original request made for boiler to be serviced - no answer from email
08/9 follow up request made to get boiler serviced. Email and calls accepted. Appointment booked in for 15/9
15/9 missed appointment as engineer ill. Boiler at this point works perfectly and has not failed since install.
19/9 boiler serviced - though pipe not set correctly. Boiler fails.
(we go away to my parents returning late Tuesday 23rd) - arrive home to no heating/hot water and red light flashing twice on boiler.
24/09 calls and emails to say boiler isn't working due to pipe being pointed in the wrong direction
(no heat or hot water)
29/09 boiler finally gets fixed

What's really annoying is that I had the boiler serviced due to your offer. Sadly it has not been a smooth process - you will see I sent emails to request a service back on 1/9 though this wasnt actioned until 8/9. We were without heat and hot water for 10 days (albeit away for 4 of these). We were told there were no appointments and the earliest was 29/09 (though an operator would of called if a late appointment became available - sadly it didn't).
Sent: 30 September 2008 14:11
To: Dylan Watkins
Cc: Kevin Crozier

Dear Mr Watkins thank you for your Email message. Without Prejudice

I have examined our records regarding the events that you claim, unfortunately our records to do concur with the events that you report. A service appointment was made for the 19/09/08, unfortunately the engineer concerned reported sick on that day and therefore we contacted you and advised of the situation. An other appointment was made with you to service the boiler on the 19/09/09 which was fulfilled. On the 24/09/08, 5 days later you reported that the boiler was not working and we re attended to the boiler after agreeing this date with your self the 29/09/08.

If you consider that the foregoing is not an accurate reflection of the events, please advise accordingly and I will arrange to credit the monies paid for the boiler service which we provided as a gesture of goodwill.
We believe that we have tried to resolve your issues as quickly as possible given the fact that we need you cooperation in gaining access to your boiler.

Yours sincerely

Steve Gentry

-----Original Message-----

You had to reattend as your engineered FAILED in servicing the boiler. The boiler malfunctioned ON THE SAME DAY OF SERVICE.

Absolutely useless. We were then without heating and hot water for nearly a week.

Upon your 'good will' repair (due to YOUR mistake) he realised he hadn't put a pipe back correctly (he stated hadn't pointed it in the right direction).

You call this service? I have a nine month child and we didnt have any heating due to your cockups. This was relayed to your operators.

I have cc'd in WATCHDOG to this email and will start emailing every consumer editor I can think of.

Refund immediately otherwise I'll also instruct my credit card company to reimburse under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Dear Mr Watkins. Without Prejudice

Thank you for your Email regarding your boiler. We are sorry to hear that you were without heating or hot water for 6 days. Unfortunately there is no provision for compensation if we are unable to attend to a customer's boiler due to engineer sickness. In respect of the payment for servicing your boiler, we have fulfilled our obligations and therefore we believe we are entitled to be paid for our services. In addition we re attended the boiler to replace the high tension lead that failed 5 days after we had serviced the boiler and left it in a working condition. This work was carried out on a free of charge basis as a gesture of goodwill.

Yours sincerely

Steve Gentry

Sent: 24 September 2008 07:38
To: Dylan Watkins; [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected];

Please could someone call me urgently about a boiler service failure

Sent: 08 September 2008 13:50
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: BOILER SERVICE

Hi
A few weeks ago I sent an email about getting my boiler serviced - you sent me a letter for a special offer. I have tried calling numerous times but the phone is either busy, operatives busy or just rings.

I still havent heard anything and would like to arrange ASAP as I am going away.

Can you get back to me with some dates?

Sponsored Links
Sorry I haven't bothered reading all of your post as its really not necessary for anyone who's dealt with these boilers.
Quite simply Keston boilers are shockingly bad, and so is their customer service and technical backup. I remember some years ago phoning them a few days after christmas for technical info only to find they were closed for the period! Nice for some.
I would give 2 options for anyone with a Keston.
A- Put it onto a contract like that from BG and put up with the stream of engineers in and out the door.
B- bin it and buy something more reliable
Any other option wouldn't make financial sense.

I have a Keston Celsius 25 and it's been ok!
Well,sort of.
Been in for 6 years. It went to lockout with red diagnostics a couple of times and I found the condensate trap was full of cr*p so I cleaned this out and didn't have a recurrence.
I also found the auto airvent inside started shipping water after a drain down (and re-fill) but after cleaning it out inside it was okay. Having said that'this 'leak' did dump a lot of water inside the casing which if not spotted could have caused all sorts of problems with the circuitry.
So all in all,yeah, a pretty average/sh*te piece of kit.

Can anyone recommend a replacement system boiler?

Sponsored Links
Mr Watkins, there is a reference in some of what you have posted to you requiring a "timed appointment" and the only way to achieve this was to give you the first of the day.

This creates an idea in my mind that you may be a "difficult" customer!

That idea is further reinforced when you are sending copies of correspondence with a boiler manufacturer to a TV program!

Part of the original appeal of the C25 was its compact size and very small flue - I fitted many before giving up with them due technical issues. Wiring one up is a pain as is servicing and noise can be an issue because of the small flue. If you can live with a larger case and flue then I suggest an Atag E22s. Ultimately more reliable and not mickey mouse in its construction.

If you are pushed for space then a Viessmann 100 compact will be roughly the same, although its not a system boiler.

If you are stuck with 50mm flue, then you have problems! I would suggest trying to go to a 80mm flue in which case you can then use the Atag.

I have a Keston Celsius 25 and it's been ok!
Well,sort of.
Been in for 6 years. It went to lockout with red diagnostics a couple of times and I found the condensate trap was full of cr*p so I cleaned this out and didn't have a recurrence.
I also found the auto airvent inside started shipping water after a drain down (and re-fill) but after cleaning it out inside it was okay. Having said that'this 'leak' did dump a lot of water inside the casing which if not spotted could have caused all sorts of problems with the circuitry.
So all in all,yeah, a pretty average/sh*te piece of kit.

AAV's leak sometimes,condensate traps block up on many boilers. Regular servicing should prevent this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back