Repairs To Boiler - Being taken for a ride by corgi reg comp

Cherrytree, dont think that you are alone in having these problems!

They can happen with some of the larger firms as well!

Here is something posted on another forum yesterday:-

Hi,
Any body ever had any dealings with nPower to repair a boiler (Protherm 80e. I contacted them mid September to get a fixed price repair. Then the following happened

19th Sept - engineer arrived looked at boiler and looked puzzled even though he had the manual. Worked out I needed a new thermistor, diverter valve and pump. Said he would order parts. Heard nothing from nPower for 2 weeks. So I chased them. They said there needed to send out another engineer to re-diagnoise the problem. My guess - they lost the paperwork.

8th Oct - 2nd engineer decided the same parts needed to be ordered.

17th Oct - 3rd engineer arrived - said he didn't have time to repair the boiler as he had a parent teacher meeting. The parts he arrived with were also the wong parts for my boiler. Said he would order correct parts plus a PCB.

Since then I haven't heard anything from them. I keep chasing via Customer Service on a daily basis. They say they will escalate and somebody will call back but they don't.

I've sent a complaint to their complaints dept. Again haven't heard anything. So between the 19th Sept and now 30th Oct they haven't fixed my boiler and appear to be avoiding me.

Is this their usual level of customer service???

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone, Its lovely to have such good advice for when I talk with them next week. Have also contacted Trading Standards just to get initial advise so that I can have this present also. I have emailed the company the content below just so that they are aware some of my issues with their invoice, which they confirmed that it would be on hold until reviewed:

To Whom It May Concern

With regards to this morning’s telephone call can you please confirm that the above invoice is currently on hold until Jason’s (the owner) return mid to late next week, at which point Laura and Jason will go over my file and review this invoice?

Obviously overall I am not happy with the service that was provided - although to be fair, Rick managed to diagnose the correct problem and have this repaired, over a month down the line and after 3 plumbers from your company. I do not think it is fair to be charged for the previous plumber’s visits, diagnosis and work undertaken by them. In fact I was assured that this would not happen.

According to the invoice the job was started on 26/08/08 and the last date on the invoice was 09/09/08. These are dates when your previous plumbers attended and tried to identify and fix the problem. Rick only visited my address in the week of 22nd September 2008 to ‘familiarise himself with the boiler and the problem’ as due to the confusion and previous plumbers you could not be certain what exactly had been done or what was wrong.

I do not believe the PCB was correctly identified, nor the electrical fault thereafter and infact the sensor for the heat exchanger was only identified as being the problem in the week commencing 29th September 2008 after Rick had telephoned the Manufacturer as he could not identify the problem himself.

Please pass these concerns on to Laura and Jason so that they can have them to hand when they review my invoice.

I look forward to receiving confirmation as requested.

Kind regards

Mrs Cherylee

Sponsored Links
Just read this is an RD350

This is a BG Ideal Classic...... Most of us see the Classic as a straight forward good boiler. The RD350 could not be worse. An Ideal tech told me that BG and Ideal got together to make this. BG wanted a modem socket so that the boiler could call BG when it went wrong!!! and Ideal made some changes also. It has sensors in the flue and at different places in the HX. It also ignites via a glow igniter. Don't see many of these but carry the sensors as vanstock as they are always going wrong. Last one had had 4 lots since new (5yrs)

If you have the MI's the fault is obvious so long as the boiler is inoperable as fault lights show on the PCB but it seems to decline over a number of weeks prior to finally becoming inoperable. Until then I have seen many engineers change many things (pumps, PCB's, ignitors) before finally changing the sensors. As I said I carry them so always change them first.

This boiler is a dog.....
Was the BG classic not an RD1 and the mexico an RD2??
Bg came out with the all singing and dancing idea of a gateway where the boiler would call them if it developed or noticed a system fault. Hence the extra flow and return sensor and the flue sensor. There is a modem connection on the board too. This cost Ideal an absolute fortune to do all the changes to the great classic boiler, then Bg decided it wasnt such a great idea after all.
Don't you just love BG

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

From what I have heard from within Ideal the modem connection was not so exactly a BG definite requirement as an Ideal idea to produce the first in the market place which BG would be likely to think is a "must have" ( or not as turned out to be the case! ).

Tony

Today I received an reminder invoice from this company for the total mentioned before, i sent the following email off to them in response and would like to know if there is any further advise or help i can get in this matter? They obviuosly took their time since this invoice was supposed to be 'on hold'.

Dear Laura

I have today recieved a 'reminder invoice' from yourselves for the above invoice and must remind you that this has been on hold since the email below as Jason needed to review this invoice. In the mean time I have also contacted other plumbers and they have assured me that for the necessary work and fault that needed to be repaired (the replacement sensor) it should only have been around 100 pounds or thereabouts.

The PCB (which i had requested be tested after removal which was not done) and apparent electric fault where misdiagnosed on the part of the previous plumbers you had sent to my house. In fact the pcb had been replaced twice! The sensor that was in the end replaced was the correct fault and was responsible for the 'no hot water' problem.

I look forward to receiving further communication from yourselves and a reviewed invoice as requested.

Upon trying to telephone your office this morning I was put through to answer phone and thought it best to email you so you have a record of previous email correspondance.

Also if you review my file you will note many telephone calls and concerns from myself with regards to how this job had been handled during repairs and my obvious concerns regarding being charged for the unneccasary repairs - which I had been assured on more than one occasion that that would not be the case by your office and my the plumbers that attended my property and although not directly from Jason I had the girls response saying Jason would take a personal interest to make sure this would not happen.

Kind regards

In my experience emails are often ignored or 'never arrived'.

Write a letter and send it 'signed for' and include any other emails you send.

If they demand payment again take the whole file to trading standards and tell them in writing you have done so.

You can also send them a letter with a cheque for £74.89 and mention in the letter:

as full and final payment

and write on the back of the cheque: full and final payment job ref#xxxx

If they cash it, that should be the end of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back