Ideal ISAR HE24 Problems, Problems, Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently moved into a flat and even though the previous owner had the boiler serviced (by my request) before I purchased it, I have had lots of problems with it since.

Here is a little background on the boiler/flat.
IDEAL ISAR HE24
Boiler installed July 2006
Property has only been lived in for approx a month prior to when I purchased it and I doubt the boiler was used when it was empty.
Serviced 11/11/08, with the EON plumber stating the pump was noisy due to lack of use.
06/01/09 local plumber replaces pump.

Firstly the boiler made numerous clanging and banging noises when it kicked in and went off as well as coming up with error faults if the DHW or CH dials were more than half way.

I had it working relatively well for a couple of weeks (as the dials were down etc) then when I went to shower or use the hot water it would go between warm to cold every minute or so.

I had a look on the net to see if it was a simple fix but it didn't sound it so I called out a local corgi plumber who diagnosed that the pump sounded faulty as he came back on 06/01/09 to replace it.

The clanging and banging stopped...hooray...... then once that was done, the CH has not worked since (Thankfully my parents live nearby to stay at), the plumber called IDEAL to see what could be wrong with the boiler to try to get it to fire up on the CH. They weren't that helpful to say the least and blamed it on a blockage in the system and not the boiler, so the plumber drained and refilled the system but that still didn't work. Instead new error codes came up H9/L9 which is heat exchange overheat. He is coming back 08/01/09 to see what he can do but I'm not sure he will be able to fix it.

I am slightly annoyed by the fact the boiler is only 2 and half years old but is looking destined for the scrap heap.

Sorry for the length of this message but any help is gratefully received.

Thanks

Calum

Sponsored Links
Get the engineer to check the auto air vent at the back of the boiler.

Could be stuck and there is air trapped in the HE.

Then I would get him to check the DV is free.

If no luck check the new pump again.

Failing all this call Ideal in on a fixed price call.

Welcome to the useless world of Ideal boiler ownership :rolleyes:

Dave, when I get called to an Isar, I do not hang about having referred the customer to Ideal- their service is very poor must admit.

But I awarded myself a gold star when I got the boiler working. Needed a new diverter cartridge, new 6012 motor and a replacement HW sensor. Ideal have been to fix this boiler twice. Water leak killed the PCBs. Water still leaking and the PCBs have been replaced twice and client has paid twice for the calls

Watch out Danny, you'll be getting called in to all the Ideal jobs now as the local Ideal expert :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

I've had a good few DV cartridges leak, but I've always called Ideal in to fix them.

Sponsored Links
No danger, I am wearing my trusty tin hat and my mobile is switched off

Do yourself a favour, OP, and get rid of the thing now. You will almost certainly get more problems with it (your PCB will blow every year or so, for example). Mine did. Lots of other people's have gone that way too.

Got myself a Bosch installed. Expensive but not compared to the yearly call out and parts Ideal were charging!

Just my opinion, of course.

Thanks gas4you for the advice, if he comes back later today I'll get him to check those things.

Hi again,

I've had the plumber back again and he seems to think that it’s blocked because it wasn't flushed properly when it was installed and I need a new boiler (after doing the checks mentioned in the forum and the L/H9 error code kept appearing). I am slightly apprehensive mainly because of the cost of getting a new boiler when I was hoping I would just need it repairing (£200 to replace and fit the pump).

I called Ideal and they wanted £210 fixed fee call out but if the boiler was knackered I would get that off a new one (not that I would order another Ideal boiler after this experience).

Have I just had bad luck or would it be better to get rid of the boiler and start a fresh, the plumber has quoted £1250-£1300 to fit a glow worm ultracom 24cxi so it would keep changes to pipes etc to a minimum and it would take two days to do.

Any advice I would be grateful

Thanks
Calum

L9 in my experience is 99% likely to be system issues - boiler senses rapid rise in temp and shuts down - now your engineer could have done a very simple check to be honest - he could have turned gas off to boiler and tried firing up for about ten mins to clear anything sticking behind pump - it would have locked out on LF, but thats resetable where if you get the 3 horizontal lines you have to wait for half hr or so....

Its no good just draining down and refilling thats a waste of time - where does all detrius go - it blocks things - it could have benefitted from a chemical cleanse and then refilling and inhibitor put in....

I would have had a water test done before I moved in to see state of CH system....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back