Boiler issues. Am I being taken for a ride?

A new pump was fitted along with a "boiler spur" (whatever that is). Hardly chucking parts at it.
I guess boiler spur is not the right term. He replaced the fused spur for the heating control panel (also not the right term - but it's the panel where I turn heating and hot water on/off - not the thermostat)

Sponsored Links
I don't want to try and fix anything myself - far from it. I just came on this forum to see if this sounded like normal procedure or if anyone knew about the valve that might be causing the issue.
With regards to the electrician - he was here late in the evening and in a rush, trying to give me a quick fix so I could have electricity.

I'm more concerned that the pump was not the problem at all and has been replaced for no reason - seeing as the problem still persists.

Was also trying to find if someone has knowledge that a valve the wrong way around could cause the heating to shut off (but the hot water to still work).
If any valve was fitted the wrong way round, it would always have been the wrong way round, it didnt get up in the night and swap itself, so has the noise been there since the boiler was installed ?

If any valve was fitted the wrong way round, it would always have been the wrong way round, it didnt get up in the night and swap itself, so has the noise been there since the boiler was installed ?
It's been making a racket since I moved in and then completely broke down. It was serviced in November and I'm not sure if any repairs were carried out then.

Sponsored Links
It's been making a racket since I moved in and then completely broke down. It was serviced in November and I'm not sure if any repairs were carried out then.
Forget serviced, it probably wasnt, it was probably a flue gas analysis, not the same thing and far too common these days, when you say making a racket , what kind of sound ?

Come on girls, you really are not helping the OP with your bitching, try and be productive please

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If it's the RCD in the fuse board that's tripped try turning off the switched fused spur (that you said was replaced) for the bolier and try re-setting the RCD. If it won't re-set with the spur for the boiler off it's either faulty itself or there's a separate electrical problem. If it does re-set but then trips as soon as you turn the spur for the boiler back on you know that the problem lies beyond that spur. A tripping RCD will be due to some sort of earthing issue rather than an overloaded circuit which would trip the circuit breaker.

If it's the RCD in the fuse board that's tripped try turning off the switched fused spur (that you said was replaced) for the bolier and try re-setting the RCD. If it won't re-set with the spur for the boiler off it's either faulty itself or there's a separate electrical problem. If it does re-set but then trips as soon as you turn the spur for the boiler back on you know that the problem lies beyond that spur. A tripping RCD will be due to some sort of earthing issue rather than an overloaded circuit which would trip the circuit breaker.

RCD's can be tripped by either a L to E, or N to E fault - so unless the spur is a double pole isolator, turning it off may not make any difference.

RCD's can be tripped by either a L to E, or N to E fault - so unless the spur is a double pole isolator, turning it off may not make any difference.
Fair enough, I'm not an electrician but I've never seen a 13a switched spur that wasn't double pole.

That question makes no sense.

You said we only have the op's version of events.

What could be the alternative version for 3 seperate engineers turning up and replacing things without knowing they will fix it

Fair enough, I'm not an electrician but I've never seen a 13a switched spur that wasn't double pole.

The thing is - the OP isn't technical, so we don't really know what the 'spur' is which has been replaced, it could be anything. The 'electrician' seems not to have much of a clue either and has left the OP without power.

I haven't paid them anything yet as they haven't invoiced me. When I mentioned the circuit board, I think I've used the wrong term - I'm talking about the fuse box that controls the electricity for the whole flat.
Is the work they're carrying out maybe covered by a service plan? If not, have they been keeping you abreast of the approx. costs/charges per fix? If not, theoretically you could be in for a shock when they invoice you.

Diagnostics in any trade isn't always straightforward, however on reading your account it does come across as though they essentially didn't know so started throwing parts at it in the hope things would be resolved. And from a customer perspective there's nothing worse than getting someone in to fix problem A, which they have a go at, leave, and you then discover a nice new problem B. 'Nowt to do with my work guv, must be a coincidence.'

If you're not on a service plan with the current company, maybe consider cutting your losses with them and find another company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back