Repairs To Boiler - Being taken for a ride by corgi reg comp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! I've just had my invoice for work undertaken and think they are taking the mickey! Please have a look at all works undertaken and give me your advise. It is long so I do apologise - but they did take over a month to finally repair and are corgi registered.

Telephoned company for quote and to arrange a visit due to fault mentioned below. Was quoted £70 per hour.

26/08/08
Plumber (young guy) called out to house as boiler was starting up, staying on for few seconds to a minute and then turning off, was there for approx. 15/20 minutes at max before diagnosing ‘PCB’ fault. Said he would order new part and left.

Part took over a week to come into stock. Couldn’t confirm price either.

05/09/08
Same Plumber re-attended and fitted PCB (Printed Circuit Board), still not staying on so he said it ‘must be an electric fault and they would have to get another person out to deal with this’.

09/09/08
New plumber arrived and tested for electric fault on boiler – could not find one! Instead said fault was valve at the back of the boiler and went and got a part – after returning and trying to fit it was the wrong valve and he said he would have to order one and that orders came in on Tuesdays and Thursdays so it should be in by Thursday! He also said he didn’t think the problem with the PCB and would get it retested.

After phoning plumbing company for timescale was told that it would only be with them on the Monday 15th! After asking if the board the old board had been retested was told didn’t know as it wasn’t on the system.

Telephoned after the Monday to be told that the part had arrived but was wrong part and it had been re-ordered…….. Timescale given was within the week.

Was told that the owner, was taking a special interest in case due to length this had been going on for.

Week of 22nd September
A new plumber arrived as the other plumber had left there employment and he needed to familiarise himself with the problem, at this stage the boiler wasn’t even starting up as it had done in the beginning. He spent some time putting everything back together and working on the boiler to get it starting up so that it was as it was originally – even tried fitting ANOTHER new PCB to confirm that wasn’t the problem! He attended twice this week to try and find the fault as I had said I wanted it fixed by then end of the week as I had been more than patient.

When speaking with with him about concern over previous visits/work undertaken that obviously did not need to be done he said he spoke regularly with the owner about this job and that I wouldn’t be charged for them.

When speaking with the office about my concern about being taken for a ride about previous work undertaken (AND NOT NEEDED) was told that it would not happen and the owner would personally look at bill before it was sent out.

At end of plumber 3's last visit he said he would phone the manufacturer.

Week of 29th September
Telephoned company to be told that they had finally identified fault as sensor for heat exchanger. Was told that they now don’t feel as terrible as manufacturer said it could sometimes be a little tricky to identify and can take a few days (1 month and 3 plumbers into the job!!!!) The part was on order and would be fitted as soon as possible. Was not given quote of cost either.

03/10/08
Plumber attended and fitted new sensor - which got the boiler working!

29/10/08
Received bill in the post stating bill of £575.75. Telephoned company and requested to speak to someone about bill as I would not be paying this amount – for previous visits and incompetence!!! Was told would phone me the next day.

30/10/08
Telephoned office at 9.44 and asked to speak , was told lady was in a meeting but has pulled out my file and this would be looked at with the owner when he is back from holiday late next week. Asked to confirm that the owner actually looked at the bill before it was sent out and she said all she can see is a note on the system saying he would do it as I had been unhappy with the service but could not confirm it was actually done.

INVOICE READS:
26/08/08 called to attend as no hot water – fault found to be PCB on boiler, new to be ordered and installed

05/09/08 attend to supply and install new PCB to boiler, Supplied and installed new PCB (Yes they wrote it twice!) Following installation of PCB electrical fault was apparent on boiler

09/09/08 carried out electrical test to boiler. New sensor for heat exchanger required.

Subtotal is £490.00
Vat £85.75
Total amount £575.75

Sponsored Links
I can definitely confirm that you have been taken for a ride......

Can't comment 100% as you don't give details of the boiler. But reading into your post......

26/08/08 called to attend as no hot water – fault found to be PCB on boiler, new to be ordered and installed -

As you had heating and no HW it confirms that the pump is OK and pretty much doubts a PCB fault. After some very basic tests I think I would have looked at the thermistors (sensors) straight away. They are also fairly inexpensive parts.

If future go for a recommended RGI or a fixed price repair from the manufacturer or BG.
BG would have cost about £200 for a fixed price repair much less than you have paid but far more than the parts and labour should have cost.

Hi

Thanks for that - i thought they are trying their luck and as it says in the post they will review my invoice when the 'boss' comes back. They are Corgi registered and are supposed to be good - although recently it seems they have taken a turn for the worse.

Im very willing to pay up to £200 or £250 including vat which seems to be a fair price - I wont pay for their mistakes and errors!

Have emailed them also to confim where things stand with their so called invoice so I have written proof.

Any other view points will be most welcome :)

Cherylee

Total rip off!

Can you name the boiler make/model and the company concerned?

Sponsored Links
My boiler is an Ideal British Gas RD350 and the company is called J.M.Page Pluming and Heating. Apparently they belong to Institute of Pluming, oFTEC, GoMC and CORGI Registered.

My boiler is an Ideal British Gas RD350 and the company is called J.M.Page Pluming and Heating. Apparently they belong to Institute of Pluming, oFTEC, GoMC and CORGI Registered.

Everybody makes mistakes but to make you pay for them is ridiculous! Don't pay any more than £100, those boilers are fairly simple and they have no excuses for misdiagnosing the problem.

If they argue call trading standards!

They have not taken you for a ride as such.

You were dealt with by a useless fellow first. His inability to diagnose the fault was not taken up by his seniors and they lost control of the timescale.

They then invoiced you without considering the situation.

******************************deleted by Mod

My suggestion is that you offer to pay them £100 in full and final settlement as previously suggested but dont actually pay it until they have agreed and sent you a revised invoice.

If they refuse then let them sue you and you can counterclaim for loss of amenity and claim say £300 compensation for the delay in fixing a very simple problem.

If you did that then I might assist you with the claim but it probably will not come to that.

You could complain to the IPHE that they did not deal with the repair expeditiously but they will not deal with pricing matters.

I am sorry that you have had this problem. We fix boilers for our customers the same day!

Tony

Tell them to do one. Tell them all your paying for is the sensor otherwise you will employ another company to check their work and invoice them for the other company's time.

God only knows we all make mistakes but this lot is unreal.

If I F up I'm the first person with my hand up there is no way I would charge anything in this situation.

They have some front I'll give them that.

:rolleyes:

God only knows we all make mistakes but this lot is unreal.

If I F up I'm the first person with my hand up there is no way I would charge anything in this situation.

Couldn't agree more, exactly my work ethic ;)

Frightening how these firms think people will just pay and say thanks very much i`m warm now.

Dearest bill i ever gave someone was when i worked for the Board it was an vcw18 in a horrendous state, pump had gone leaking onto the boards and flowswitch was also p33ing out .

Told the guy before i started this is going to be horrendous as all time was being clocked on computer it ended up at around £750.

Felt that sorry for him i cancelled one of the boards(booked it out on a contract job) and it came down to around £590 he was happy as larry his motherinlaw paid on credit card and i walked away thinking why would anyone spend that amount on at the time a 17 year old boiler

Just read this is an RD350

This is a BG Ideal Classic...... Most of us see the Classic as a straight forward good boiler. The RD350 could not be worse. An Ideal tech told me that BG and Ideal got together to make this. BG wanted a modem socket so that the boiler could call BG when it went wrong!!! and Ideal made some changes also. It has sensors in the flue and at different places in the HX. It also ignites via a glow igniter. Don't see many of these but carry the sensors as vanstock as they are always going wrong. Last one had had 4 lots since new (5yrs)

If you have the MI's the fault is obvious so long as the boiler is inoperable as fault lights show on the PCB but it seems to decline over a number of weeks prior to finally becoming inoperable. Until then I have seen many engineers change many things (pumps, PCB's, ignitors) before finally changing the sensors. As I said I carry them so always change them first.

This boiler is a dog.....

SOme boilers can really give you a runaround if you aren't familiar with them, but if it's easy to make the fault happen reliably, diagnosis is usually no more han 10 - 20 minutes max.
If it goes on for long and you suspect a sensor, you change the thing. If it needed draining to do it that could take a while, but £100 should be ample, your suggestion of £200 is more than fair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back