Alpha CB24X Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This boiler was in our house when we moved in so i've no idea how old it is. Last April (08 ) we had the diaphragm replaced as we had no hot water without having to put the heating on. Started to get the same problem just after christmas. Got the same company out, and he replaced the diverter valve but told us that he thought the boiler was coming on for 10 years old and needed a flush through but was on its way out and he thought it would be cheaper in the long run to get a new boiler.
This week (April 20th) we have the same problem, no hot water without having to put the heating on.
So my question is, is he trying it on or is the boiler knackered and should i bite the bullet and have it replaced?

Sponsored Links
The 2 main things that go on these are the diaphragm and the 'horseshoe' flow switch that sits on the DV assembly.

If you remove the switch the boiler should fire up for HW instantly. If it doesn't replace the switch, literally a 5 minute job.

With a new DV (assuming it was a genuine alpha part) I should not think this will have failed again so soon.

I have yet to replace one on this Alpha model, (I think :confused: )

They are not the best of boilers and are very expensive to fix because of the cost of genuine parts, but you should get years of life out of it yet.

Is the switch a little black plastic unit with a brown and blue wire going in to it? How does it come off, is it screwed on or just clipped on?
Also the engineer did say that there was a lot of "oxide" in the system when he came out in Jan.

thats the one.. just prize it up and see if the boiler fire's up, if dosnt chances's are it is the switch like gas4you says think their about £30-£40 from mem

Sponsored Links
Your right, pulled the switch off and it fired up. So whats knackered the DV again?

does the diverter valve look like its been replaced? the flow switch can fault intermittently and still could be at fault (which i think it will be) but i have also had problems with the thermistors on these

Not 100% sure, there is some sort of sealer around the edges that looks fresh (ish)

PIC_0030.jpg

PIC_0031.jpg

PIC_0029.jpg

That looks like a complete bodge job of replacing the diaphragm :eek:

There is NO NEED to use ANY form of sealer when putting in a new diaphragm :rolleyes:

One has to have suspicions of what has actually been done now I think :mad:

If you look at the top nuts coming off the plate heat exchanger they look the same colour as the diverter valve which would indicate it hasnt been replaced, your boiler isnt 10 yrs old probably about 5-7yrs old but some of them have been very troublesome and some have not i personally have replaced a few which where bodge fits i wouldnt spend too much on it but if you decide to replsce go for a quality unit like a Vailant.

Since i took the switch off (couple of hours ago) and replaced it everytime i've put the hot tap on we have hot water! Very weird.
The company i used were on our councils website as a "Fair trader", thats why i used them.
Do you think i've been ripped off then?

it is possible the fault will come back, i have found if there is dirt in the system this also causes the diverter valve to fail or not work correctly, so it probably will happen again

Since i took the switch off (couple of hours ago) and replaced it everytime i've put the hot tap on we have hot water! Very weird.
The company i used were on our councils website as a "Fair trader", thats why i used them.
Do you think i've been ripped off then?

Hard to say but the boiler isnt 10 yrs old if you make a note of the serial no and ring alpha boilers they will tell you when it was made, and i would guess it will be 2003 -2004

Just looked on the back of the front panel and there's a date stamp. 6-03

I have had a few, very few, that have shown the fault yours had, but after removing the flow switch have miraculously worked ok and never had a call back.

perhaps the flow switch can somehow get 'dislodged' and taking it off has re-seated it correctly.

If it continues to work forget it and be thankful ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back