Age of meter

If I were them, I think I might be tempted to (still) stick closer to 240V (if not higher - see below), thereby giving more scope for VD before the voltage supplied to consumers becoming less than the 'permitted minimum'.

In fact, I would have thought that the voltage output from the tranny (and, indeed, supplied to the closest consumers) would already be a fair bit above 240V, so as to keep the most distant consumers above the minimum at times of high load, wouldn't it?

That would make good sense, I just wonder if the new sub transformers output 10 volts less than the old ones in order to accommodate the new 230v vs the old 240V nominal?

Sponsored Links
Except nothing actually changed voltage wise.

Physically your correct in that the measured line voltage for most people did not change and still measures around 240V today, what did change was the official nominal voltage what was changed from 240V +6% -6% to 230V +10% -6%, thus giving a new acceptable voltage range of 216.2V-253V.

So in essence all that changed was the official specification. Many sub transformers still put out 240V as they did back decades ago. Now for new sub transformers, I would guess they are designed to put out the more recent nominal 230v; although In reality they could put out anything between 216.2v and 253v.

As I have said a number of times a pure paperwork exercise to keep the Eurocrats happy. Should really be described as a con or even scam.

That would make good sense, I just wonder if the new sub transformers output 10 volts less than the old ones in order to accommodate the new 230v vs the old 240V nominal?
Perhaps. However, given that most differences/fluctuations in (consumer) voltage are going to be due to post-tranny VD (rather than variations in the HV voltage), I would have thought that it would always make sense to have the no-load tranny output pretty high (within the permissible range) - so perhaps they will stick with the traditional voltages.

Kind Regards, John

As I have said a number of times a pure paperwork exercise to keep the Eurocrats happy. Should really be described as a con or even scam.
It was inevitable that it would initially be a paper exercise (and remain largely that way for many years), since they could not have required that every country changed their 'usual' supply voltage to 230V 'overnight'. However, as eveares has suggested, it's far from impossible that the long-term plan is for everyone to gradually change in the direction of actually usually supplying ~230V to consumers.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In the long term that could well happen, since the official specification has changed to allow a minimum of 6% below 230V in place of the former 6% below 240V, so adjusting for 230V nominal* could certainly be achieved over time as transformers are replaced or taps adjusted. There was also the plan to amend the official specification to 230V +/-10% eventually, but last I heard that had been postponed indefinitely.

* In this context I mean a real 230V nominal as in 230V +/-6%, not the official 230V +10/-6% keep-the-bureaucrats-happy kludge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back