Age old glow worm burners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing a job for a lovely old dear. British Gas have condemned her boiler (Glow-worm 65-80) because of a hair-line crack to the burners, and quoted her silly money for a new combi.

Basically, I have never seen a boiler of that age in better condition. True, there is a hair-line crack on top of one burner, but all we need are new burners to save her close to £4K.

The burners in question ( Aeromatic 7/51945) are now obsolete. Anyone no where I might come across some half decent replacements - or a viable alternative? Just to stop British Gas ripping off another old Dear!

Thanks
Gasser

Sponsored Links
Gasser said:
Doing a job for a lovely old dear. British Gas have condemned her boiler (Glow-worm 65-80) because of a hair-line crack to the burners, and quoted her silly money for a new combi.

Basically, I have never seen a boiler of that age in better condition. True, there is a hair-line crack on top of one burner, but all we need are new burners to save her close to £4K.

The burners in question ( Aeromatic 7/51945) are now obsolete. Anyone no where I might come across some half decent replacements - or a viable alternative? Just to stop British Gas ripping off another old Dear!

Thanks
Gasser

Why get British gas to replace it? Local installer will probaly be 30-50% cheaper than them!

agreed.

if BG's quote is not to your liking then get more quotes and choose someone else. lets see if your other quotes include 3-5 years reduced cost servicing.

looking for obsolete parts is generally a waste of time.

you are only being ripped off if you are stupid enough to accept a mad quote......getting quoted a mad price isnt being ripped off :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If you find a burner with a crack in it but the boiler is still working ok-crack having no affect on flame picture are they ok to leave running or they need condeming?

condemned is such an ugly word and is very vague.

the definition of At Risk as part of the gas regs is basically an appliance that may cause a danger to life or property.

therefore a burner that is cracked but working ok at the present visit is not guaranteed to be doing so at the next visit which should in theory be in 12 months time.....its at risk of worsening its condition and causing a danger to life or property.

use your flue gas analyzer to get accurate idea of what is happening in side combustion chamber.
if readings are acceptable its ok.
if your fga has a printer print out a report,important as its the only evidence you tested appliance.leave a copy with your work sheet and keep a copy.
suggest boiler is serviced every 12 months with an additional safety check in 6 months.
good luck.

So by Poxi`s link no need to argue.. The part is avialable.Which would be avialable to the BG engineers help desk so someone has lied through there teeth or not done there job properly. Mind you it does surprise me this part is still avialable

Is this yet another case of a BG engineer getting commission for introducing a boiler replacement by saying parts unavailable. (I wish I could trust people more!!!)

Not necessary down to engineer if help desk says not avialable he can only go by that. but going back ten years ago parts for this boiler where hard to source

sorry I don't trust commission based large organisations. Said BG told one of my now customers that he couldn't service baxi back boiler anymore due to not complying with current regs (part L) and would need a new condensing boiler even though he said nothing was wrong with said appliance. Forgive me for being sceptical!!

By that comment every independent is commision based and not trust worthy. Only this week had 2 jobs from one guy first one he charged £120 for straight forward back boiler service and on the other £366 for changing a 2 port valve which would take half hour. Far more than BG would have been and hopefully most honest guys,

I wish I could charge these prices and get away with it, but then as I don't perhaps that is why my work is 95% word of mouth recommendations! Perhaps we will see this chap on the next series of gas fitters from hell or the like!

bg we love you,keep up the good work.
reminds me of the saying,the computer says no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back