Aggregate for 20"x20"x18" floor pads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - my garage concrete floor is only about 3 1/2" thick - i am going to install a mid rise 2 post car lift -that is one that just lifts to 48" due to restricted ceiling height.

the floor thickness mentioned above requires me to construct deeper mounting pads for each of the 2 posts - these will be 20"x20"x18" using a 123 mix.

i will be drilling 5 x 7/8" x3 1/2" anchor holes in each of the pads.

could someone please advise as to the size/type of aggregate i should use?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The answer is you need well graded non reactive materials. Or atleast thats a technical definition.

This means your agregate should contain particles from dust through to 2mm.
Mist DIY shops will be able to sell you this in the form of "balast"

Is your current garage floor reinforced in any way?

Hi,

......Is your current garage floor reinforced in any way?

thanks for your reply & no, not reinforced.

the guy i'm buying the 2 post lift from just says i need a 6" floor - i found the info for "the sunk in support pillars" on the net but nothing regarding the mix used.

Right, tbh I cant comment on thr suitability of the pad design you have chosen. But if your garage floor is only 100mm thick and un reinforced when you cut these holes you may weaken it dome what which may cause cracking and the floor to break up...

Sponsored Links
Right, tbh I cant comment on thr suitability of the pad design you have chosen. But if your garage floor is only 100mm thick and un reinforced when you cut these holes you may weaken it dome what which may cause cracking and the floor to break up...

appreciating your points - from a safety point of view i'm a bit "iffy" myself about the whole thing but to be honest i was tempted - i'm retired mechanic with some health issues that prevent me from "lying under them" - i 've the option of a free standing "scissor lift" but vehicle access underneath is limited due to its design - however i guess it might be a case of it or nothing as i don't fancy having to dig up the whole garage floor - cheers

If I was doing it, I wouldn't break the up the existing floor. It should be plenty strong enough. Maybe spread the weight by placing 450mm square metal plates underneath your posts?
To answer your question though...
1 part cement
2 parts concreting sand
4 parts aggregate (20mm limestone)

Dig down to solid ground & fill up with concrete to the floor height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back