Garage concrete floor strength?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a double garage with a 5" to 6" standard concrete mix floor which has been done for over 20 years.

I'd like to invest in a car scissor lift similar to this:

http://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7532b-3-2t-mid-rise-scissor-lift/

It would not be used everyday, but say once a month or so.

Would my current floor take this sort of load? Total weight would be about 500kgs for the lift plus another 1300kgs for the car. The area for the lift would be around 2 metres by 2 metres.

If not could I reinforce the floor by using a larger metal spreader plates or would I have to cut out a suitable pad hole and make some new foundations?

If a new pad what sort of depth would I need to go to and what mix of concrete would be necessary.

Richard

Sponsored Links
The existing floor is in very good condition. Thanks for the re-assurance.

Richard

Should be fine as it is. It looks they those scissor lifts would spread the load over a larger area than the car on 4 wheels anyway.

Sponsored Links
I am only going on what I have seen, but It sounds to me like it would be fine.

I presume a commercial 2 post lift could be different, but from what I have seen even these are typically only attached to the floor, all be it the floor may be of a higher grade in a commercial garage.

Daniel

Guess an industrial unit would have a much higher grade concrete floor as standard. But the lift I'm thinking about does have a larger base area compared to a 2 post lift and I wouldn't be using it 5 days a week.

Richard

Which SJR scissor lift are you using? I'm interested in the quality and performance of these products.

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back