Air Bricks as general ventilation...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We moved into our first house recently and we have a variety of damp issues. We need a new DPC which is being done soon, we also need sub floor ventilation in the form of air bricks, also being done soon.

We have also been told we have a condensation issue which we were recommended passive air vents to sort this out (soveriegn passive vapour vent were recommended)

On reading up on Air bricks I have two questions
1-Would it be easy enough for me a reasonably practical person and ok DIYer to install the air bricks for the sub floor ventilation?
2- Would an airbrick in the wall above floor level do as ventialtion to help combat the condensation issues?

on ground level one side of house is next to the passageway leading to the back so I thought it would have minimal draughts and rain.

Thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks, Rob

Sponsored Links
If you have damp issues, then this could be the cause of any room condensation, so it may be wise to hold back on room ventilation until a good while after the damp and under floor ventilation is complete

Fitting sub-floor vents are awkward more than technically difficult

Room vents need to be higher up - 1800mm min

hi Woody,

thanks for the reply.

I did wonder if the DPC, or lack of it, could be contributing, but the "damp man" that came round said as well as the DPC issues he thought there was a lack of ventilation, leading to condensation too.

I was thinking it was easier to fit ventilation as a "quick fix" to start helping until DPC is done! I will hold off on that one now :eek:)

What would your advice be on this matter - We have condensation forming on front wall of house in the main bedroomin a certain patch next to the window, could this be caused by pentrating damp on the front wall? the front wall is rendered and south westerly facing.

thanks, Rob

i really do hope you havnt gone for the 1st person who walked through the door.

get a few quotes and i wouldnt be surprised if each 1 differs in there recommendations.

what so far have you been told is needed,
removal of plaster 1m high?
high/low pressure injection?or cream?water based or spirit based fluid?or transfusion method?

are your walls solid of cavity,if cavity then they need opening up and the crud removed if thats not happening then your wasting your hard earned.

i used to do this for a living and every company i worked for had/used different methods

Sponsored Links
does anyone drape wet washing around your home or over radiators?

John, we do, as its not really hanging out weather at the moment ;)

Was never an issue in previous homes though and we have less washing now.

Its kept to the back room and we try to leave the window on the latch whenever its got washing in. The back room is the least damp in the house as well..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back