Air con How much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much would it cost roughly to get my air con re gassed on a Y reg Mondeo. I live in Kent if that makes any difference.

I just found you can buy air con gas, from halfords or ebay, is this an easy job or best left for the experts?

Sponsored Links
fattony said:
How much would it cost roughly to get my air con re gassed on a Y reg Mondeo. I live in Kent if that makes any difference.

I just found you can buy air con gas, from halfords or ebay, is this an easy job or best left for the experts?
best left for the experts is what i heard, they will deep vacuum the system, and recharge the gas to the correct pressure. with the "can'o'gas" you talk of, there may be contaminants in the system already and adding this gas will be a waste of time, also it may not be the same gas as what is already in the system. the deep vacuum takes care of any contaminants in the system. also, the gas is made to fit a filling point either on the suction or the discharge of the compressor, this varies between cars.

In my experience, with an older car, they suck out the old oil and gas, fill it up, find a few leaks, empty it and fix the leaks they've found, fill it up and give the car back with a bill. After a few weeks or months, it escapes through another few small leaks they didn't find last time, and you have it done again. Then repeat steps one and two once a year.

Car systems are made of several pieces connected together with metal and rubber piping' each of these joints can leak at a seal. Once it has been opened up it will never be as good as the factory build. One of the reasons domestic fridges and freezers last so long is because all the parts are soldered together and there are no serviceable joints. Even the motor and compressor are in a sealed metal housing.

My bro-in-law does commercial and yacht air con and refrigeration plant (in Australia), he won't do cars because they have a high failure and return rate, often from a different fault which occurred due to it being the same age as the other bit that he repaired last time.

You can't do it yourself as you have to have it thoroughly sucked out with a vacuum pump; not just because the gas is environmentally damaging, but also because damp gets into the pipes and will damage your a/c system when it heats up.

hmmm not sure its worth doing then, could be a waste of time and money, it bloodys hot though

Sponsored Links
why not make car air con with all copper pipe? We have freezers at work with compressor trays at the bottom. these trays slide out to reveal the compressor and fan for easy servicing, the compressor is connected to the rest of the freezer with coils of flexible copper pipes.

If this works, why cant they use the same pipes in cars, brazed together? I know the main source of vibration for the pipework is the compressor being attached to the engine, but isolate this and the rest of the system is rigid. There must be a way to improve car air con systems.

Are we certain failure is not caused by the usage?
I have posted elsewhere here, my 7.5 y/old Nissan hits the same outlet temperature as 1 y/old Scenic.
I just have the a/c on all the time ... No problems, fuel?? I guess we all do something which uses more fuel in one way or another.
a/c is pretty cool in car !
:D

crafty1289 said:
why not make car air con with all copper pipe?

Too expensive. Dont see much copper wire around either, most of that has gone to ali.

^neo^ said:
crafty1289 said:
why not make car air con with all copper pipe?

Too expensive. Dont see much copper wire around either, most of that has gone to ali.
ok, all metallic pipework then, take your pick which metal, with welded / brazed joints, something to increase reliability and make it last longer.

Sponsored Links
Back