Air Con Problem

Out of interest, one would expect if the car engine is going faster, the air con compressor would also go faster. Is this true? I always thought a true compressor could only operate at a single speed*.

If it is true, does this mean the faster the engine goes, the cooler the caar gets?

*(Though i know 3 phase variable speed ones are now available)

Sponsored Links
Quote from Sorftus: I believe austin1 to be in the third world. He might come back for some more 'advice', but I doubt that, wherever he is, it's in the real world.

Thought I'd return after a busy week in the real world (that's the second one for the benefit of Softus).

Softus should go back and read my first post again and maybe realise that he has mis-quoted me. There is no evidence that shows I said that all garages are rip-off's. I said that I don't want to go to a garage and get ripped off (again perfectly reasonable statement). Of course in the world of Softus (that's the third one, or maybe we could make up a tailor made fourth just for his bubble) garages never ripp people off do they. Thanks for all the other useful replies - sensible, helpfuss and what this site is for -and not trying to pick holes in everyones posts when they don't fully comply with ones own perspective.

I look forward to a reply from Softus within the next 15 minutes.

austin1 - you're right; I did misquote you in my first post on the topic, albeit not in the more recent one.

And if your working hours or location prevented you from posting on the forum, then perhaps I misjudged you; if so then I apologise.

However, I'd be interested to know your justification for your open-ended comment about, how shall I say it, some garages giving the you expectation that you would be ripped off.

Softus - apology accepted. I think empirically, it would be generally accepted by most, that garages do not have the best reputation for honesty. That is not to say that there are not any garages around that do offer a fair and honest service to it's customers, I accept that these do exist. The thing is, they don't have a big neon sign outside saying if they are honest or not do they! By the same token, there are rip-off double glazing salesmen, builders, car salesmen, people doing driveways, timeshares etc. They do exist, and I don't see how you can take umbrage with that fact. Therefore, does it not make sense what I said in my very first post.

If I cannot repair it myself (and it is not possible to find that out until I have tried) then at least knowing what the problem actually is, will mean that a potentially dishonest garage would probably not get off with trying to rip me off.

Finally, I attempted to repair myself because it is something that I enjoy - it wasn't a money saving exercise, which is just as well as I am currently £40 down and still at square one. There are some positives though, I have enjoyed our dialogue on this matter and if I could give you one piece of friendly advice, it would be to accept a difference of opinion more readily ;) .

Sponsored Links
austin1 said:
They rip-off merchants] do exist, and I don't see how you can take umbrage with that fact.

I didn't take umbrage with it per se, more with the fact that you over-reacted to crafty1289's reply to you. Maybe I'm over-sensitive, but many people do post on the forum and think it's OK to sound off about some trades and some tradesman being mercenary and untrustworthy.

Therefore, does it not make sense what I said in my very first post?
Yes and no - it was an easy route into the misunderstanding, and as a result we got off on the wrong foot. Six of one and half-a-dozen of the other, as my wise old grandmother would say. ;)

If I cannot repair it myself (and it is not possible to find that out until I have tried) then at least knowing what the problem actually is, will mean that a potentially dishonest garage would probably not get off with trying to rip me off.
I concur.

Finally, I attempted to repair myself because it is something that I enjoy - it wasn't a money saving exercise, which is just as well as I am currently £40 down and still at square one.
It's how we learn :)

There are some positives though, I have enjoyed our dialogue on this matter and if I could give you one piece of friendly advice, it would be to accept a difference of opinion more readily ;) .
I don't object to you expressing that opinion, but you don't know me quite well enough for it be accurate. Notwithstanding that, I appreciate that you are well-meaning.

I don't object to you expressing that opinion, but you don't know me quite well enough for it be accurate. Notwithstanding that, I appreciate that you are well-meaning.

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to take a retrograde step with our new found friendship, but stricktly speaking there is a subtle difference between advice and an opinion - I am offering advice not an opinion. Furthermore, without wanting to exacerbate things, and stricktly speaking again, if it was an opinion I do not need to know you at all for it to be accurate.

I'm not picking holes - I am certain that you too are well meaning.

Regards

You remind me of a couple of camp old thespians who can't get it up anymore.

keyplayer said:
You remind me of a couple of camp old thespians who can't get it up anymore.
Forsooth, keyplayer, if we could but get it up, we, but three and three alone, would speak the very soul of pleasure, to wit the high and healthy pulse of the passions would lie spent at your fair hand. ;)

:LOL: Very good Softus. Although a touch more Llewelyn-Bowen than Olivier.

Softus said:
...spent at your fair hand.

Is that a service you provide, keyplayer?

Might do better to keep quiet about it.

Sponsored Links
Back